Dehydrated Overheated young rooster

Ikaia

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 18, 2012
Oklahoma
1) What type of bird , age and weight
He is an American Gamefowl a little more than a month old, but can't remember exact age. Otherwise healthy

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Really lethargic, and disoriented at first, but now just sitting in the box. Not interested in food or water

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
I found them about an hour ago, two head, this one almost dead, and the two others were weak but able to walk and are now doing much better

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
Two died, others seem to have recovered

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
no

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Water was not checked before the heat of the day and was dry

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Before this, regular water and medicated chick starter

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
haven't seen any yet

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
I brought this one inside, forced some water down successfully. After a little bit, I crushed some food and put it in the water and also got a little of that down with a dropper.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I'm treating it at home and was wondering if anyone has suggestions or info on how long it may take to get the bird back on his own feet and what, if anything, i can try to get it to eat.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
Looks normal, just not eating or drinking

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Plastic box with four other chicks topped with chicken wire inside a larger area with 2 month old chicks before. Was using hay for bedding, but neighbor did not replace it for the week while i was gone... they just dumped it and replaced food and water two days ago. Good was ok still, but water was bone dry. Now I have him in a plastic box with hay in my room with the fan on[/FONT]

i would put some electrolytes in the water if you have it. otherwise get some semi warm water & dissolve some sugar in it (or make a simple syrup & add to water). cool water down & give by any means necessary. i wouldn't worry about food at this point. dehydration is much more deadly. put a water bottle filled with cool water against him (i don't think i would use cold water - might shock him too much).
make sure he's not stressed by anything & let him re-coup (hopefully).
good luck.

He's pretty much cooled down at this point from being inside , but I will do what you suggested with the sugar water. My room is pretty quiet and he's acting less disoriented and fighting more when i try to give water with the dropper.

When I brought him in, he was pretty much limp. Still not up on his feet now, but can perch on my finger without too much wobbling. Thanks for the suggestions and I will update later on his condition

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom