Dehydrating eggs for long term storage

I misplace a couple of my "mixes" that were vacuum sealed and place in a cool dry place. They were two years old when I found them during the move and the flour in them went rancid. So make sure you are using your food storage and rotating supplies out. Our sugar has gone solid also, so I have to break off a chunk and put it in the blender to use it. DH went hog wild on the storage before we were really set up and ready for it. It is a livestyle to live. When we redo our kitchen, I am going to incorporate more self-sufficient type storage.

I am getting a little dehydrator crazy too. I quickly have decided to stick to stuff that is immediately useable, like dried fruit for the kids snacks when fresh fruit would be too messy or the little guy would eat it too slowly or for hubby when driving on business trips instead of fast food or junk food. And for gifts, my mom and sister are getting home made "natures box" type gifts, which is great because they are customized for diet restrictions.

Camping is another near future use that makes a huge difference. When camping or hunting you always have the ability for hot water to be available. salsa can be dehydrated, and I love salsa with scrambled eggs...I will try this and report back.

Ooo, salsa, never even thought of that. Yes, please let us know how that works out!

I am hoping for a bumper crop of potatoes so I can try making dehydrated grated potatoes. I have been buying them and it would be nice to be able to make my own. We use them for camping, and I use them easy morning breakfasts. Breakfast burritos, egg casserole for one, just regular old hash browns, frittata ...

How do you do your potatoes? The last ones I did I boiled them first and let them cool then cut them up. I did it at first without boiling and they all turned black. Go to Dehydrate2store.com and see some of her wonderful ideas for dehydrating. I strongly recommend if you use a vacuum sealer to store any of your dehydrated goods that you take her recommendation for the stronger bags cause a lot of the stuff pokes hole in the grocery/big box store vacuum seal bags.

I am in the same situation with storage. Did you use mylar bags in a 5 gallon bucket for your sugar?

Also, about vacuum bags, didn't someone say to double bag for better long term storage? Even if they didn't, I am saying that it's a perfectly good idea. I have yet to make food that lasts long enough to test this idea, but I'm
sure I'll need to try it eventually.

That was the beauty of the bags the lady on Dehydrate2store web page was talking about. The bags are thicker and much better quality and don't require double bagging. She had a really cool video out there about long term storage that involved sealing in mylar then placing in totes well labeled. Like "vegatables" "fruits" etc. I saw in Country Side magazine that someone has come out with a home freeze dryer. That would be the best way to preserve food for long term storage. But I bet it is pricey!

Has anyone used their dehydrated eggs for pasta? That's what I'm currently doing, hoarding pasta lol.... I like the idea behind dehydrstingbthem, but ya'll have me scared they're going to make my pasta taste like tires lol ;)

Has anyone used their dehydrated eggs for pasta? That's what I'm currently doing, hoarding pasta lol.... I like the idea behind dehydrstingbthem, but ya'll have me scared they're going to make my pasta taste like tires lol ;)

Watch Wendy DeWitt on YouTube she says you can use Knox Gelitan in place of eggs and last for ever she is a member of the Mormon church and teaches about food storage. I AM ALERGIG TO EGGS SO THAT WOULD BE A PLUS FOR ME.

Back
Top Bottom