1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dehydrating tomatoes questions

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by TerriLaChicks, Jun 8, 2011.

1. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    I'm doing an abundance of cherry tomatoes in my dehydrator - I know to halve them but do you put them cut side up or cut side down on the dehydrator trays?

Also do you skin cherry tomatoes or leave the skins on?

2. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    In case anyone else was wondering, I finally found an answer -- dry them cut side up for about 1/2 the time (6 hours) then flip until they are the consistency of raisins (12 hours total drying time). Leave skin on. Store in freezer.
    edited to correct drying times.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  3. Okie Amazon

Okie Amazon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    I just saw your post, sorry. I did the same thing, so all the seeds and juice wouldn't drip out! Soooo tasty on salads!

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Dry cut side up like you said. Plum tomatoes also dry really well. I dried a lot last year. delicious!

5. kello500

kello500 Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    Wilmington, NC
    Quote:Thanks for posting this. I am growing more "cherry" type tomatoes this year than I can eat - ha. I didn't want to waste any [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by