Delaware and Silver lace wyandotte (pic heavy)

I have a Delaware hen with a very large comb. I absolutely love this breed. Very friendly. They lay quite large eggs. I got mine at 5 mo old, so can't really help in sexing.

Well, the coloring is really odd on your chicks, but most male Dellies have lots of "smut" between the shoulders and down their backs, fairly evenly, which clears out as they mature. Here is a top shot of the same cockerel I posted the picture of previously-this male turned out to be very handsomely colored as an adult, though I rehomed him to a BYC member.

Delawares change dramatically as they mature, but this one is what I look for in a male when I'm looking for one that should be nicely marked as an adult:

Here is a Dellie pullet about the same age. The wing color and back color will clean up and she will have tail black (black feathers edged in white) while males have barred tail feathers, and she will have more barring in the hackles. Hers were not the best colored, but I don't have an adult photo of her since I gave her to a friend:

Last edited:
I have three chicks that I picked up at our local feed store. They where all sexed as female but I am wondering about one of the delawares and the wyandotte. They are about 10 week sold.

I am worried about the delaware no the left...

Thanks!!!
I think they are all hens. I was considering crossing my SLW with my Delaware. I was hoping they were pretty

At 10 weeks of age, don't be too sure that Delaware is a cockerel. It's a very poorly colored Delaware, for sure, but most Del males have a big honking comb by that age and many are already crowing. Delaware pullets pinken up sooner than some other breeds I've had.

Here is a 6 week old Delaware male, though mine are from heritage breeder lines:

I knew I had roosters at 2 weeks old no later than 3. Their lil congress were red and bigger than all the hens

Back
Top Bottom