Delaware. any gender guesses?

Quote:
That is the problem with some hatchery Dels, but generally, Delawares are "mouthy". Some will bite and twist if they want attention. As chicks, they explore everything with their beaks and you can break them as youngsters, usually. My first Dels were hatched here from McMurray hatchery pair owned by a friend. They were horrible, mean, flighty birds. I sold even the pullets at about 8 weeks old. Hated them. Had to be talked into them again by a breeder friend.

These Delawares I have now are so different. They are not aggressive at all, just attention seekers. Georgie insists on being picked up when she wants it. Ellie only occasionally wants it and will scratch your pants legs with her feet. I had a few others, but sold them and just kept my two largest hens. They both lay large to jumbo eggs and are very good layers. My rooster is a real love. I test him daily, scratching his chest, rubbing his wattles, bending down into his face. He's sweet as the day is long. Couldn't ask for a better tempered boy. They are motivated breeders, though, and can handle quite a few girls. I don't want to breed Delawares and keep toying with the idea of rehoming Isaac, but dang, I would miss that boy so darn much! I have an up and coming Barred Rock male I want to breed and hope Isaac will tolerate him in the flock when he gets up in age, but I have my doubts about that. Ike doesn't care for the Barred Rock girls anyway so I bet he won't be happy with the BR boy in there.

I agree with the posters, looks like my 2 girls at that age.

Our 2 were super sweet birds in the beginning, but the older they get the more flighty and loud they have become, once you pick them up they calm down some, but they both let you have it for even the thought of picking them up, and one seems to enjoy picking feathers from the others, so I'm keeping a very good eye on her. I've noticed this also that both of my Dels enjoy inflicting pain on other birds that get in their way, they send the other girls "honking" and shaking their heads, but there's not much I can do right now, both are my little girl's birds so unless it get's much worse, we'll have to endure their behavior but hope it changes the older they become.

Last edited:
Quote:
well she almost definitely wont be a dominant bird. she is the youngest of our 9 birds, the second youngest is about 6 weeks and she is only four weeks. our oldests are about 3 months.

what a pretty girl
love.gif

Quote:
thank you! we weren't going to get any more chicks but then our friend called from the feed store saying "they have 4 week old speckled sussex and delawares!" it only took me a second to convince the rest of the family that one more couldn't hurt....

I know! she is so sweet. she may be the sweetest of all of my girls (i say of my girls 'cause the rooster that i must re-home tomorrow is pretty darn sweet!) don't get me wrong, all of my girls are sweet, but this one doesn't even run away when you try to pick her up.

mother o' chicks72 :

I know! she is so sweet. she may be the sweetest of all of my girls (i say of my girls 'cause the rooster that i must re-home tomorrow is pretty darn sweet!) don't get me wrong, all of my girls are sweet, but this one doesn't even run away when you try to pick her up.

Run away? My Georgie is a trip hazard!
lol.png
That's the normal Delaware temperament. That's what they're supposed to be like. Honestly, I couldn't have an entire flock of them just because of that, LOL. I'd never get anything done around here.​

Quote:
Run away? My Georgie is a trip hazard!
lol.png
That's the normal Delaware temperament. That's what they're supposed to be like. Honestly, I couldn't have an entire flock of them just because of that, LOL. I'd never get anything done around here.

haha, well I didn't do any research on them except look at a picture, so i wouldn't know. Well i'm glad about that since some of my chickens you have pursue for 10 minutes just to pick them up.

Back
Top Bottom