Delaware Cockerel or Pullet

mcforys

Songster
13 Years
Jan 17, 2008
Oakland, CA
Hi All,

I have 6 10-week olds and I am almost sure that the Delaware (the breed that I have course never had before) is a baby roo. Annie/Andy is 10 weeks old today. I know from reading here that Delawares grow fast but this seems way too fast. I will be so bummed If I have a cockerel as I can't have roos in the city and will need to rehome. Anyhow, can a Delaware expert help me out.

Thank you so much in advance,
Maureen in Oakland

IMG_4533.jpeg

IMG_4535.jpeg

By tail feathers, comb and wattles, it's a Cockerel. Beautiful bird though! Are his legs thicker than other same breed chicks? How is his behavior when you catch him/her? Is he noisy or calm (directly after capture?) Also is he heavier than one you believe is a pullet same age? Those are helpful signs

By tail feathers, comb and wattles, it's a Cockerel. Beautiful bird though! Are his legs thicker than other same breed chicks? How is his behavior when you catch him/her? Is he noisy or calm (directly after capture?) Also is he heavier than one you believe is a pullet same age? Those are helpful signs
He is not bigger than my other girls and his legs are not huge but with that comb is it even possible he's a pullet? He is also super friendly and has been from day one— veritable lap chicken.

He is not bigger than my other girls and his legs are not huge but with that comb is it even possible he's a pullet? He is also super friendly and has been from day one— veritable lap chicken.
Yeah my little Cockerel was friendly and jumped in my lap daily and got up on my shoulders and he's now 10 wks old and he pecks me and hollers when I pick him up. The boys seem to be friendly at a young age and the girls run away and then they switch when they're older... Boys turn mean, girls become nicer. I think he may be a boy. But there's no guarantee way until he crows or she lays an egg! The comb and wattles can sometimes be tricky but the general rule is big and red early =boy, smaller comb and little to no wattles is girl til they reach point of lay. Good luck to you!

Yeah my little Cockerel was friendly and jumped in my lap daily and got up on my shoulders and he's now 10 wks old and he pecks me and hollers when I pick him up. The boys seem to be friendly at a young age and the girls run away and then they switch when they're older... Boys turn mean, girls become nicer. I think he may be a boy. But there's no guarantee way until he crows or she lays an egg! The comb and wattles can sometimes be tricky but the general rule is big and red early =boy, smaller comb and little to no wattles is girl til they reach point of lay. Good luck to you!
Interesting. I will watch for personality changes, but am resigning myself to rehoming if needed. WAAHHH. I've never had a Delaware in all my years of keeping hens and so OF COURSE he is the one that turned out a boy.

Interesting. I will watch for personality changes, but am resigning myself to rehoming if needed. WAAHHH. I've never had a Delaware in all my years of keeping hens and so OF COURSE he is the one that turned out a boy.
Maybe not though. Don't rehomee til you (maybe) hear that crow. Oh and the adolescent crow is quite funny sounding 🤣.. it'll make ya go "what in tarnation 😂"

Back
Top Bottom