Delaware genetics for dummies?

Quote:
When you say "Over" colored what does that mean? The black bars are wider than the white? The black is irridesant? Both?

In general, if you have a overly dark rooster over a overly white hen, you should get some near perfectly barred offspring. Remember from my earlier statement today... Delaware are unpredictable. I can have the same two mated and get 20 different results as far as barring goes. Keep the best, forget the rest.
wink.png

Quote:
How do you try to breed it down ?

All the hens are snow white. .. . . and in your case roos are being produced that have different levels of yellowing. Do you just make a choice to use the ones with less yellow in the breeding program?

Quote:
I am so excited to be talking delaware breeding that I can barely stand it!
D.gif
D.gif

Tomorrow, I will get a picture of what I am talking about. . . so check back tomorrow.

Thanks for the help!

Quote:
I am so excited to be talking delaware breeding that I can barely stand it!
D.gif
D.gif

Tomorrow, I will get a picture of what I am talking about. . . so check back tomorrow.

Thanks for the help!

I got your PM math ace Im so busy these days I rarely ever am on here and hardly ever am this late I just wanted to see what was up here on the thread I'll try to post something soon as to my reasons for the yellowing (brassines) in some of the male offspring. Heres another thing to study up on is the addition of the mahogany gene (RIR,NH color-black tailed red or red columbian). I dont know all there is to know about it, but its a real doozy once introduced into a blood- line so there you go something else that might intrest you in your endeavours to figure out this situation I'll try to chime in soon as I get a break maybe tomorrow evening. Another thing to study on and ask the genetics gurus about is the correct terminolgy of the Delaware pattern is called Dilluted-barring alot of people call it barred columbian thats not the plumage pattern. It all has to do with the barring being sex linkable and how the red columbian pattern dillutes the barring to white in the body feathers and not the neck tail and wing feather its quite a deep subject to delve off into. I was supposed to help my bro do a Delaware genetics study and report -don't see it happening any time soon as Im just too busy right now maybe when the weather is bad this next winter Ill take time to check into it a little more as Im very interested in this type of study and as a matter of fact I'm right smack-dab in the middle of the Dellie devlopement project with Kathyinmo, my brother and there are others Im not sure who yet but we are all trying to breed for a new strain of Delaware and hope to begin this coming fall when the project pullets start up production its gonna be fun.

and yes on your ? as to pm me or email Ill answer when I get the chance to.

Happy farming everybody

Jeff

Quote:

All the hens are snow white. .. . . and in your case roos are being produced that have different levels of yellowing. Do you just make a choice to use the ones with less yellow in the breeding program?

Yes, if that is what I wanted to work on, that is what I would do. Pick the roosters with less yellowing to breed from... this means you would have to wait to breed until the yellowing shows. It also means you would (or should) hold on to ALL your roosters until they are about a year old when the yellow starts to show.

Now, you see why yellowing is the last thing on my list to worry about.

The green legs in some "Dels" I do not believe to be sex linked. I have examples of both males and females with VERY green legs.

Let's just say I think I was sold a "bad batch of goods"... so needless to say.. that has set me back a year in getting into Delawares.

I've hatched out over 200 this spring. You would have never have guessed that to happen by looking at the parents.

Needless to say.. this whole flock is going to freezer camp.

Also note.. the roo I have also has the yellowing as he got older. So that may be an indication of something amiss as far as "purebreed" goes.

On that note. anyone selling eggs or chicks from lines that are close to type that DO NOT EVER show that type of thing?

Green legs and yellow legs do differ in the sexlinked gene Id.
Both genders can show sexlinked traits. Sexlinked is the mode of inheritance. Fathers pass it to their daughters.

Quote:

Yes, if that is what I wanted to work on, that is what I would do. Pick the roosters with less yellowing to breed from... this means you would have to wait to breed until the yellowing shows. It also means you would (or should) hold on to ALL your roosters until they are about a year old when the yellow starts to show.

Now, you see why yellowing is the last thing on my list to worry about.

My 5 1/2 month has the yellowing - - faintly already . . . .

I will be posting pics of both roos tomorrow. I got the pics today . . .. but haven't had a chance to upload them yet.

Quote:
This is what I mean by an over colored tail

IMG_1742.jpg

The smaller feathers have the crisp white barring, but the bigger ones are more gray / black than the white / black barring.

Back
Top Bottom