Delaware genetics for dummies?

Quote:
So then are you saying there are no such things as mutations? I'm not saying there are I'm just wondering if they've changed the definition of a "sport" and proven there are no such things as mutants. Cuz I could swear my sister in law.................................... sorry.
Seems to me to get two pairs of anything to pair up and produce the same pair consistently would be like hitting the lottery or greater. Cool.

So Delaware has a Columbian gene? What does that mean as far as breeding though? I have a cloumbian looking rooster with almost solid black tail. How could I use him to better the flock, or could I better my flock with him? I hates genetics...lol, they are so confusing!!

Quote:
charcoal in the calculator is recessive. Since the original list did not use the + signs...
Don't know if charcoal is in there, could be, but not the most important.

Delawares are
silver in groundcolor
columbian restricted
sexlinked-barred/cuckoo
on a permissive "extension" background like wheaten or e^b (brown/partridge)

"Dark brown"-gene would clear the hackles of the black/barring pattern.
Charcoal would boost it.

Delawares are
silver in groundcolor
columbian restricted
sexlinked-barred/cuckoo

Can some one explain what a permissive "extension" backround is please?

Quote:
So then are you saying there are no such things as mutations? I'm not saying there are I'm just wondering if they've changed the definition of a "sport" and proven there are no such things as mutants. Cuz I could swear my sister in law.................................... sorry.
Seems to me to get two pairs of anything to pair up and produce the same pair consistently would be like hitting the lottery or greater. Cool.

No, mutations do exist, but I think that what were once considered mutations are often technically not.

Quote:
charcoal in the calculator is recessive. Since the original list did not use the + signs...
Don't know if charcoal is in there, could be, but not the most important.

Delawares are
silver in groundcolor
columbian restricted
sexlinked-barred/cuckoo

"Dark brown"-gene would clear the hackles of the black/barring pattern.
Charcoal would boost it.

So would Db give solid dark hackles or solid white hackles?

Quote:
You are correct--and don't discount the knowledge you have in genetics--you do just fine.

Thanks for that! I know just what I have to know for the birds I have and to meet the goals I set. These days, I have to keep it simple, LOL!

Quote:
So does that mean you're not willing to lead the class in discussion?
tongue.png

So, I come over here to learn and find out I am leading the discussion? That would be sooo funny. We would end up having chickens with plaids and stripes.

Back
Top Bottom