Delaware hen killed graphic description

I tried to get my hubby to consent to getting a good LGD, he vetoed me. :( I have heard that geese can be pretty good "watch dogs." Anyone else hear that?

He wouldn't veto if he knew how valuable they are. Dad's a vet, I've got 5 housedogs--but when it comes to "connection" I'll take my LGD's over any others, any day. It goes way beyond just having another dog!
Regarding the geese: Oh, yes, they are definitely territorial and can be pretty ferocious--and guineas and peafowl are excellent for sounding alarms. Whether that would actually stop predators? Good question.
I know he was at least half joking, but once a long time ago, I called our local Fish and Wildlife agent as I was freaked about the coyote who had just gone through my front yard next to my pond where my mute swans are. My swans are Samson & Delilah. His response? "I've seen your Samson--I think you ought to be worrying about the coyote!" Yes, Samson is a force to be reckoned with!!

The "hawk" in the previous video looks like a Cooper's Hawk. Cooper's Hawks are the midsized of the three Chicken Hawks. All true hawks have (including the Red Tail, the Cooper's Hawk, and the Blue Darter (Sharp Shinned) hawk) similar wing structures and hunting strategies. Don't confuse a hawk for a falcon. Falcons usually take winged prey diving on them at a speed sometimes in excess of 200 miles an hour. Falcons are good fliers but they are p*** poor gliders. On the wing a falcon gives the appearance of a nightclub strobe light because its wing beats are so rapid. You can get vertigo from watching a falcon flying. Also a falcon's' wings are knife shaped and slim, while a hawks' wings are shaped more like a shovel, meaning broad and wide..
Find this very interesting chickengeorge.....

http://www.hawkmountain.org/raptorpedia/how-to-identify-hawks/page.aspx?id=353

The "Hawk" family really isn't all that similar....:)

I tried to get my hubby to consent to getting a good LGD, he vetoed me. :( I have heard that geese can be pretty good "watch dogs." Anyone else hear that?

They (geese) can be very good alarm birds but very poor guard birds. Which means that you will need to keep your ears peeled for the alarm cries of your geese and your bath robe hanging next to the tub so that regardless of what you're doing you can respond promptly to every goose alarm.

They (geese) can be very good alarm birds but very poor guard birds. Which means that you will need to keep your ears peeled for the alarm cries of your geese and your bath robe hanging next to the tub so that regardless of what you're doing you can respond promptly to every goose alarm.

There you go again. I can run faster in underwear than in a bath robe and do not have to change. My wife timed me.

I knew hawks will hunt from places other than up in the sky, but I didn't know they'd deliberately walk into places to get at a meal. Definitely good to know, and a demonstration of why roofs are useful things to have over your chickens.

I had my bantam hen taken by a small hawk, I have worried about my bantams but not my full sized birds thinking a hawk would not want something so big, but hawks do come in diff sizes as well.

The bantam had her back tore up to the back bone.

Back
Top Bottom