Delaware Leg Issues?

Ugh....she hasn't laid an egg since Friday. I thought she was just taking a break for a few days, but now I'm trying not to get too concerned.

She is still eating, drinking, and hanging out with the flock, though. No one is picking on her.

I can't handle this. I watched her wobble today and almost fall over. Although she's eating and drinking, there is something seriously wrong here. She is moving shakily and spends way too much time not walking. Any time she is standing still, her legs are shaking or she's on the back part of her legs.

My heart is breaking watching her. My personal beliefs are very strong in regards to animals under my care not suffering.

She's barely a year old.

I'm at the point now where I really think I need to euthanize her. Any advice would be very greatly appreciated. I absolutely adore this girl and appreciate all the eggs she's given us, but I cannot in good faith let this continue.

Mareks disease could be a possibility, along with a vitamin or mineral deficiency. Injury should also be a concern. I can understand your not wanting her to suffer. I would suggest getting a necropsy done by your state vet to rule out cerrain diseases that may affect your other or future chickens.

She was vaccinated for Merek's as a chick. Would she still be able to contract it?

I could contact UGA. They have a veterinary school and may be able to perform a necropsy.

I have to admit, I have no personally experienced Mereks. I have a copy of "chicken health for dummies". I trust this book. I lost a chicken I could have saved if I had it earlier. There are so many conflicting opinions here. Anyway, I say it doesn't seem like Mereks because this book says it occurs in adult birds and symptoms only last a few days.

@GAchickennewbie are you seeing anything else about her that does not seem right? Any bruising or cuts on her legs? Is it possible she ate something she shouldn't have?

I appreciate you helping me with this christine9.

I'm not seeing any bruising. If she ate something she shouldn't have, wouldn't the other birds be acting up? I've never had this happen before and all the others are doing great.

Back
Top Bottom