delaware rooster question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by abelseville, May 17, 2010.

1. abelseville

abelseville Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2008
    Loudoun County, VA
    Im just curious, what is the aggressive factor with delaware roosters? I have a friend who is gun shy about roosters after a bad experience and I want to turn her into a rooster lover. I have delaware, ameraucana and welsummer cockerals now and would like to give her one to try but want to give her the most non aggressive breed. I have experience with all but the delawares. Any thoughts?

2. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    My Delawares are only four weeks old, so I really cannot speak authoritatively on Delaware rooster behavior yet.

However, I have an Easter Egger rooster (most hatchery Amauracanas are really Easter Eggers), and he is the most friendly bird in our flock. He is docile, very gentlemanly, and lets you hold him and hug him. He eats scratch out of our hands. He does not hurt any of our hens, not even the bird who is lowest on the pecking order, though he does mate all but the youngest (21 week old) gal. We figure he'll start having sex with the 21 week old as soon as she is ready to lay eggs.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It's an individual thing, not a breed thing. I've had an aggressive Delaware cockerel, but the guy in my avatar is a sweetheart, very calm and even-tempered, even loves his chest rubs. You can't say anything with certainty, only going by breed.

4. Chefmom

Chefmom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2010
    I've had about 7 Delaware roosters. Of my original four, one was eaten quickly just for being useless!! He wouldn't leave the feeder. Everyone else was running around but he wouldn't leave the coop!! The others grew into very well behaved boys, and two are now 4 years old and my only 2 roosters. My main guy, George, is wonderful with his girls, non aggressive and I can handle him freely.

If you are worried when you give the rooster to your friend, do a little training with him. I started with George when he was 4 weeks old, and his personality and fine good looks began to emerge. With one hand on his back, push him flat to the ground, and with the fingers on your other hand grab some back-of-the-head feathers and flatten his head flat on the ground. You are just doing what other chickens do when they really show their dominance. I have seen hens mount other hens to show who's the boss, so I do this with the roosters I decide to keep. I did it several times a day and they quickly got the idea that I was the big boss of the flock.

You could also teach your friend to do this, so she is used to handling the rooster from the very beginning.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by