Delawares: How are they as layers vs. B Rks. RIRs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jmc, Jan 13, 2011.

1. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    i love their appearance, but i want real good layers

also i wonder about delawares getting all dirty looking...............

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It depends on the strain. Some Delaware, BR, RIR are great layers. Some are better for meat. Some are bred for show and egg laying is not important. Some are pretty good for all three.

By strain I mean what traits has the flock been culled for. If the breeder selects for egg laying, you will probably get good egg layers. If the breeder selects for championship show birds and does not select for eggs, then they will probably not lay as well as from a flock that is culled for egg laying.

Of your mentioned breeds, Delaware from Cackle are the only ones I have. They lay real well.

Mine do get a little dull after a long time, but after a molt they are really bright. All of them look better after a molt. A 12 year old that was visiting liked the appearance of my Delaware right after the molt better than Speckled Sussex, Australorp, Buff Orp, and several mutts. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Of the ones I have, the Delaware are the most curious and boldest on checking out new things. I like their personality.

3. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    I cannot speak for the other breeds - but my Dels are strong and consistent layers - even thru the winter they are not missing really. They do occassionally get dirty - but really people that visit are shocked how they stay so white looking!

4. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    Quote:where did you get yours, may i ask.

and thanks for the replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by