Delawares

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by G R I, Nov 29, 2013.

1. G R I

G R I Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2013
    I'm thinking about purchasing 5 hens and a rooster. All delawares. They are less than 2 years old and were purchased from a certified breeder. I am not familiar with the breed but plan on hatching some to circulate stock. AND sell a few . I have 4 chickens now. Rhode Island reds, barred rock, and an Arucana . I have plenty of room. Will they get along? Is it a worth while venture?
    I was also considering a few other types of birds like hamburgs or andulusians or orps but think the other chickens will beat them up.

Any info and help will be appreciated

2. G R I

G R I Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2013
    Also an idea on price of delawares to see of I am over paying.

3. capayvalleychick

capayvalleychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2010
    Guinda CA
    There are very few Delawares available that meet the Standard for the breed. If you plan on "circulating stock" it will take quite a bit of work and expense, breeding & culling large numbers to do it right. It is not an easy breed to work with, if you care about producing birds of correct type.

To answer your questions, whether or not they will get along depends more on the temperaments of all the birds involved. I would guess that you won't be able to a new rooster to a flock that already has a male. Integrating new hens can usually be done, but it all depends on the individuals rather than the breed (unless you are considering game type breeds).

As far as price, Delawares are priced about the same as most other chickens for sale. I haven't seen them priced outrageously like some of the fad breeds.

4. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008

I don't know of any poultry breeder "certification" process. Who certified your breeder?

5. NYREDS

Jan 14, 2008

I sold some pretty nice pullets last month for $20 each. They were just starting to lay.

6. capayvalleychick

Jan 26, 2010
    Guinda CA
  7. NYREDS

Jan 14, 2008

I have. As far as I know Judge Adkins "Certified Flocks" are certified by Judge Adkins.

BTW- just went to the barn & "Certified" my Delawares so now there's another certified flock.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  8. G R I

G R I Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2013
    I'm sorry I misrepresented. I reread the email I got and they said it came from one of the top breeders and is not a hatchery bird. sorry about that.

I am getting 5 hens and a rooster for $85. all 18-20 months old.

really I am not getting into the business of breeding. I just want eggs really. but 10 chickens are my max capacity and I just want to get new stock coming and my incubator holds 12 eggs. so I figured I could sell the extras.
    Should I get a different breed for egg production?

I appreciate all the sarcasim. lol

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  9. capayvalleychick

Jan 26, 2010
    Guinda CA
    That's a decent price.

I've been happy with the egg production of my Delawares, so it may be fine for you, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by