Delay with First Lay

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hydestone, Nov 17, 2010.

1. hydestone

hydestone Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2010
    We had a dozen chickens that were split up after a few weeks together. They are now all 6 months old and live in two different locations.

One group has been laying for a few weeks now but the other group hasn't laid a single egg yet.

What is up with that? Shouldn't they lay pretty close to the same time?

Also, will a watched hen ever lay an egg? My wife, kids and I are checking quite frequently now trying to be the first to find an egg. Could this be giving them some pause before letting them go?

2. rooster lover 119

rooster lover 119 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    you guys checking on them frequently might be the problem. For hens to lay eggs they like privacy. my chickens just started too. some of mine aren't laying and i researched and found that if chickens just start laying right around winter they might not lay tell spring. so we might have to do some waiting. good luck though!!!!! [​IMG]

3. hydestone

Oct 15, 2010
    There is no way we can wait until spring. How is that even possible for them to not lay eggs?

3 RI Reds and 3 Plymouths.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  4. lightfoot

lightfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2010
    NW minnesota
    Quote:is the non-laying flock housed in the same size coop as the laying flock and are 15 hours light provided for both flocks?

5. hydestone

Oct 15, 2010
    The coops are different sizes. The layers are in a much larger coop and have had light for about a month now. The non-layers are in a smaller coop and have only had 14 hours of light per day for about a week now.

6. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Quote:What's the rush? [​IMG]

7. wildeflowers

wildeflowers I suspect fowl play!

Jun 29, 2010
    Also, will a watched hen ever lay an egg?

No. I speak from experience. LOL

There is no way we can wait until spring.

Why can't you wait to spring? You may not have much say in the matter.

How is that even possible for them to not lay eggs?

Egg laying is tied to daylight hours. It's a hormonal process, much like many other biological processes. It also depends on the breed and maturation of the birds. You just may have some late developers. You could add supplemental light, but I personally don't see a need to do this and some feel it is detrimental to hens' health. What's a couple of months? I'm dying for some eggs, but I'll wait.​

8. hydestone

Oct 15, 2010
    Quote:What's the rush? [​IMG]

Correction...I can wait until spring...it is my 3 and 5 year old daughters who can't wait for the eggs!

Currently I have a CFL bulb in there that kicks on in the morning and evening to get them 14 hours of light. The light is only in the coop, not the run...may switch the CFL to incandescent and put the CFL in the run.

9. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    This is easy you look for eggs if theres no eggs you wait. One day your in high cotton then your not. Dang chickens.

10. hydestone

Oct 15, 2010
    Anyone have advice on lighting strategies to help facilitate egg production?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by