Delayed Development or the oddity (3.5 Wk Lav.Orpington Pullet)

teauxja

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2023
We have 9 pullets - 9 different breeds. All hatched 3/6/2024. One is not developing as quickly, and looks odd compared to the others* (I have included a photo of the BLR Wayandotte for comparison).

Wing feathers are a disaster - like they're growing wrong. She still has so much fuzz. From the side view, her back end looks almost distended.

She is similarly "weighted" to the others (keel bone is similar to the others), she eats, drinks, socializes, etc. There nothing odd about her behavior - just the way she looks.

I was assuming it may just be that she's delayed, but at almost a month, I'm wondering if this was the anomaly of the clutch and she likely won't thrive to adulthood. Any ideas? TIA!

*Others: 4 Marans (we know not to compare with those), a Cream Legbar, a BLR Wayandotte, a Blue Australorp, a Black Orpington and the Lavender Orpington. (I don't think we got the black orpington but don't know what else we got)...I am assuming the chick in the photo is the Lavender Orpington due to the color of the feathers). (I've had Wayandottes, Australorps and Orpingtons in the past)

IMG_6512.jpg
IMG_6513.jpg
IMG_6514.jpg
IMG_6534.jpg

Her wing feathers look a bit like what some of my silkies have. I would think she's going to be a bit special!

Here's a young one, frizzled.
frizzle mottled 3-27-24.jpeg

Here's an older one with that same wing thing, not frizzled.
marsha 2.jpg

I've noticed this year mine although all the same exact age, you'd think I have three different ages in my brooder! Some grow a lot quicker than the others. This is normal. Her backside did look swollen to me. Is her vent clear of any obstruction? Is she able to poop normally? If that's all clear I would absurve her behavior. She's not crying out when she goes to poop is she? It may just be her normal. Keep watch on her for signs of destress. If she has none than I'd think she's just a bit different. That's ok. Just growing differently. Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom