Delayed silkie chick

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Some chicks just develop slower than others, especially runts, they are quite slow to catch up. And with nature, not all chicks make it to adulthood.

All this being said, just keep an eye on the little one. If the crumbles are too large, he may not be eating enough to grow. You may need to crush the feed for the next week til he catches up.

Good luck with your flock and welcome to ours! :)

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Some chicks just develop slower than others, especially runts, they are quite slow to catch up. And with nature, not all chicks make it to adulthood.

All this being said, just keep an eye on the little one. If the crumbles are too large, he may not be eating enough to grow. You may need to crush the feed for the next week til he catches up.

Good luck with your flock and welcome to ours! :)
Thank you! I will definitely try that.

Good morning, and welcome to BYC. Do the chicks have five toes on each foot ? They almost look hard feathered and might not be silkies or might be silky crosses. Chick has the 'look' of a healthy bird. I also wonder if you might have two large fowl and one bantam.
I actually haven’t counted toes surprisingly but I did read that if they’re not “true” silkies they won’t have the 5 toes. They do have feathered toes already (the bigger ones anyway) I’ll get better pics of feet and feathers today and update.

Actually they can be true silkies and lacking the 5 toes. It just means they are not show quality
If so that’s okay, I know they’re not the best for egg production compared to other breeds as they’re pretty broody, I mainly got them as apart of my little farm family. They’re so adorable. The little one acts perfectly normal, I just wanted to make sure she (most likely) isn’t lacking anything

Back
Top Bottom