Delivery gone wrong. Trying to revive the survivor.

Apr 16, 2020
Help! We had a shipment of chicks get stuck in delivery and all arrived dead but one- she wasn’t great but she was fighting. I am trying to keep her alive. She is drinking (with electrolytes) but not eating. Pooping and chirping.
She made it overnight but seems a bit weaker today. Tractor supply wouldn’t sell me a single chick to keep her company and no one around here has babies yet. Any advice would be great. I’m making some scrambled eggs now.

Get her two chicks from TSC then, do you have room for that? She needs a friend.
Scrambled eggs are good, what is your brooder setup? Does she hang out constantly under/away from the light, or does she move around depending on how warm/cold she is?
Make her normal food a mash so it will possibly be easier for her to eat, chicks are usually much more interested in mash as well. You can also try sugar water, but it is really good she is drinking.
@shawluvsbirds @MGG @Eggcessive

Get her two chicks from TSC then, do you have room for that? She needs a friend.
Scrambled eggs are good, what is your brooder setup? Does she hang out constantly under/away from the light, or does she move around depending on how warm/cold she is?
Make her normal food a mash so it will possibly be easier for her to eat, chicks are usually much more interested in mash as well. You can also try sugar water, but it is really good she is drinking.
@shawluvsbirds @MGG @Eggcessive
Thank you! My TS is only selling 6 chick min. I may just go for it. These babies were for work the order was for 100+ (One box of 50 is “lost” so sad.) and I wasn’t intended on getting my own spring flock quite yet!
She moves, quite squat- but spends most of her time under the heat plate. I attached a pic of the set up and how her body is behaving.

Attachments

• 77096FE8-757D-48D0-B896-59D3DCD60B84.jpeg
    77096FE8-757D-48D0-B896-59D3DCD60B84.jpeg
    614.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 3B034EB5-4558-4548-8A9C-411339950697.jpeg
    3B034EB5-4558-4548-8A9C-411339950697.jpeg
    341 KB · Views: 15
Poor babies!!! I'm so so sorry.
Keep giving her the electrolyte water. I would worry about feeding her too much yet, she just needs to get rehydrated. Do you have any molasses?

Back
Top Bottom