Dels, White Rock, Coloured Boilers ????????

newchickens2009

Songster
12 Years
May 18, 2009
BAHAMAS
I Live In The Bahamas N I Don't Have The Luxery Of Ordering Cornish X When I Want Meat Birds. What I Am Hoping For Is 2 B Able 2 Raise My Own Meat Birds. I Know That There Is Nothing Like A Cornish X But I Also Know That U Can't Breed Them As Well. I Also Know That Delawares Were Once The "meat Breed" So Should I Raise Them Or What Is The Best Breed 4 Me 2 Raise On My Own N Keep Breeding For Fresh Wonderful Home Grown Meat? Thanks In Advance For Any Help N God Bless!!!!
smile.png

Have you heard of the Colored Rangers from JM Hatchery? I raised those this year and loved them. They're as close as you can get to a Cornish X, but WITHOUT the health issues...plus, they reproduce! If you do a search in BYC for them, you'll find lots of topics. Good luck!

If i was you i would get some of the heritage breeds that we used to use for meat birds before the CX's were around.

The ones that are proven in history for meat birds are :
- New Hampshire x Delaware
- Barred Rock x White Rock
- Rhode Island Reds x Dark Cornish

No matter what you will need to make a cross of something but these are a few that are proven, now to get good parent stock could be a whole new mission. But you'll need to have separate breeding pens to keep the pure breeds pure and the then use the offspring to make the crosses. It is not economical here in the states to do a such rthing as we can order them cheaper and easier then we can raise them our selves plus you get a better product when you buy them.

Quote:
YES I HAVE HEARD OF THEM BUT I WAS ALSO TOLD THAT THEY WOULDN'T REPRODUCE? IF THEY CAN I SURLEY WILL GIVE IT A TRY. THANK U!

Quote:
IF I GOT A GOOD PARENT STOCK WITH THESE N DECIEDED 2 USE THEM 4 MEAT BIRDS, HOW LONG WOULD IT TAKE 4 THEM 2 GROW 2 A DECIENT BUTCHERING AGE?

Thanks 4 The Quick Respond. I Defiently Will Keep This Info Has I Cointue 2 Explore My Options. Once Again Thank U N God Bless!!!!

Back
Top Bottom