DEMENTED MUSCOVY DRAKE ATTACKING FROM BEHIND!

Nutri drench shouldn't be put on the feathers. either by mouth or mixed with water.

Ivermectin I separate the feathers on the neck and apply right to the skin on their necks.

Any other symptoms with your drake? eyes look clear no drainage or rattling when breathing?

No, no drainage or rattling. Just this weird high pitched hiss (a couple in a row) and then a clunk, like you can hear the back of his throat close or something. Otherwise he seems fine.
So you give the nutri-drench by mouth only?
Do you also put the ivermectin under the wings and near the vent? This is what you sent in a previous email "You can use Ivermectin pour on for cattle. It only takes 5 drops. Put one drop on the skin behind the neck, one drop on the skin under each wing, and one drop about 2 cms from the vent on the skin." Maybe you've changed that since last March.
Do some muscovy react negatively to ivermectin? (My dog did but I don't.)

I had a boy duck I tried to rehome. He got real friendly when I took him to the farmer's market. I brought him home. I separated him from ducks and hens. He was very friendly to just me.

No, no drainage or rattling. Just this weird high pitched hiss (a couple in a row) and then a clunk, like you can hear the back of his throat close or something. Otherwise he seems fine.
So you give the nutri-drench by mouth only?
Do you also put the ivermectin under the wings and near the vent? This is what you sent in a previous email "You can use Ivermectin pour on for cattle. It only takes 5 drops. Put one drop on the skin behind the neck, one drop on the skin under each wing, and one drop about 2 cms from the vent on the skin." Maybe you've changed that since last March.
Do some muscovy react negatively to ivermectin? (My dog did but I don't.)
I have done it both ways under each wing and neck and close to vent the last time I just did their necks. It's time to do it again before winter settles in and I will just do the neck. I only do my chickens this way my ducks goose and chickens also get herbal wormer once a month.

Hopefully the voice your hearing is just part of the Muscovy drake talk. My drake has some different speech depending on how is feeling at any given time of day. He loves to talk to me just wish I could understand what he is saying. Does your drake raise his mohawk when he is talking or excited?
I only have ever put Nutri drench into their water or by mouth depending on the reason.

I hear you but again I think I am most concerned by the fact that it is very different and the clunking sound (like there is something in his throat) coming at the same time is what concerns me. Might he have something stuck and if so is there something you know that I may do to help it get dislodged? Have any of your birds ever had avian flu and if not do you know someone who might know the symptoms? This time of year the wild birds are very active in my yard, so I just didn't know if they could perhaps be using the pool when I'm not out there (the pool is not in a contained area). Would that be a concern?
Good news...the fecal came back negative so I think that means I can start to introduce them and if he is also alright I want to do it asap. It's too difficult to keep up this quarantine. I wonder if I should be concerned however that whatever is going on with him now, might effect them negatively. Believe it or not I never worried about the 2 drakes regarding health because they were since day 2 SO healthy.

Not anymore but yes! I re-homed him where there was no compitition. I think he was/is hormonally challenged.

Oh good! Our rooster will try to attack me so I started handling a long horse crop. He respects me now! Some people would think I´m so evil, but it´s soft and he does not like it AT ALL. It works if you have any trouble with mean birds. Which I hope you don´t

It could be he has something stuck you could try some ACV with mother in his drinking water to help him dislodge something.
Feel along his neck for anything that could be stuck.

Have you put them together? I would hopefully that will make your drake a happy boy.

I have never had bird flu and our county hasn't had it thank God. But I think it's blown way out of proportion just like the C virus has been. I sure would not contact anyone associated with the gov about it. I actually feed the wild birds to keep them out of my flocks feed bowls and have never had any problems.

Back
Top Bottom