Denegard and Ivermectin

rchlarellano

Hatching
Oct 25, 2018
Hello everyone,

I am wondering if anyone knows if it is safe to treat with topical Ivermectin (for mites and worms), and treat with Denagard in their water (for respiratory symptoms), at the same time.

I have an older Polish hen that is acting off and I am not sure what is wrong with her. It is getting cold here in Oregon, maybe that could cause behavior changes...? She is still eating and walking around, but not as much as usual. I don't see any changes in her poo, and I don't see any drainage from her eyes or nose.

I've lost four hens this year to respiratory illness, I can't help but feel as though I am doing something wrong. I am overwhelmed with anxiety and guilt, but I just can't figure out why they keep getting sick. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Thanksgiving,
Racheal

Hi Rachael ,
I can't advise on the medications sorry. Perhaps if you shared some details about your set-up (coop, where your flock spend their days - enclosure/free range) what is their exact diet etc it would help forum members to offer advice. I hope you get to the bottom of it! Good luck.

Yes, you're right Cragg, thank you for that tip, I am new to this.:)

I have five hens now, they are free range in a quarter acre yard. They have a large covered area to stay out of the rain and a cozy coop so they can stay warm at night. I dod get the coop from a neighbor for free, I cleaned it, painted it, and did a layer of waterproofing paint before they moved into it about a year ago. I have it insulated with cardboard on the inside but I do have good ventilation.

I feed them an Organic mix called "Scratch and Peck" that I get at our local feed store. I also give them fresh food about three times a week- a tomato, apple, or some grapes. I give them a handful of treats per day and that is either mealworms, corn, or a mixture of hen treats in a bag that I got at the feed store as well.

All the hens get along just fine, my Polish is definitely the leader of the pack. She is usually very talkative and bossy, she takes good care of everyone. All of my other hens are broody right now, so the Polish has been out on her own. She seems bored and lonely, or maybe she is just sick? I don't know.

Most respiratory diseases unfortunately stay with a flock once they get one from a carrier, until, the last chicken is alive. They are all carriers. You will probably see an outbreak during periods of stress, such as when the weather gets cold or during a molt. They can get it again and again since it is chronic. Mycoplasma, coryza, and ILT are common ones which are more serious, than say, infectious bronchitis. Denargard specifically treats mycoplasma (MG,) and you can also use it once a month as a preventative. Ivermectin does not work that well for worms anymore, but it can be used for mites. For worms, I would use Valbazen or SafeGuard. For mites, I like permethrin 10 spray, but you can use ivermectin pour-on. I don’t think it would not matter if you used them at the same time. Here is a good article about diseases to read:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

For worms, I would use Valbazen or SafeGuard. For mites, I like permethrin 10 spray, but you can use ivermectin pour-on. I don’t think it would not matter if you used them at the same time. Here is a good article about diseases to read:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

What dose of ivermectin pour on do you use for your chickens? I have it on hand for my goats and it would be alot easier to use then dusting. Knock on wood I don't have any crawlies right now.

Last edited:
Eggcessive,

Thank you for that information. I really appreciate your help.

It is so frustrating dealing with this respiratory problem... but, it is nice to know that it's a chronic issue rather than something just reoccurring randomly. Do you if there is something I did that made my flock get the disease? Or is there something I can do in the future to prevent it from happening once all mine pass on and I get a new flock?

dawg53, Okay, I will stop the treat. They're not going to be happy about it, but at this point I'll do what I can to keep them healthy. Are the treats making them sick? Or is there not enough protein in them?

Thank you :)

Back
Top Bottom