Dented egg day 17

Pics
We use the little giant delux. It is old school, and deceiving in terms of how nice the more "modern" models look. But we have really good hatch rates with it, about 15 to 20% better than the nurture right 360. What i like most about it is how well it holds temp and humidity.

It is also bigger and more roomy for the newly hatched babies.

But yes, no matter what, buy a seperate temp/hygrometer. Im
Linking what I have. I love this one because it is affordable, and has an app. The app has an alarm feature that you can be notified if something goes below where you want it. Perfect for incubating (also has a 15% coupon right now!)

Govee Hygrometer Thermometer H5075, Bluetooth Indoor Room Temperature Monitor Greenhouse Thermometer with Remote App Control, Notification Alerts, 2 Years Data Storage Export https://a.co/d/0WSPEeB
Oh that’s really cool!

I had a chick that pipped but not zipped (I’ve had to help all three that hatched so far, but this one, when I woke up, its foot was sticking out. It’s finally out of the egg, but the neck is twisted badly like it’s still in the shell and it can’t stand up. What should I do? Don’t the suffocate if left of their backs?

I had a chick that pipped but not zipped (I’ve had to help all three that hatched so far, but this one, when I woke up, its foot was sticking out. It’s finally out of the egg, but the neck is twisted badly like it’s still in the shell and it can’t stand up. What should I do? Don’t the suffocate if left of their backs?
Yes the neck issue is from being stuck in the egg too long. Let it dry off and recuperate from hatching and see how it does. You might roll it over if you can.

It’s still twisted up 😢
I take that back. It’s getting a little bit better. One of the other chicks came out to it, and it’s trying to straighten out!

Attachments

• IMG_3254.jpeg
    IMG_3254.jpeg
    818.5 KB · Views: 16
I take that back. It’s getting a little bit better. One of the other chicks came out to it, and it’s trying to straighten out!
Give the little guy time, he probably needs sustenance now. You need to do a few things...first pick up each chick and dip their beaks in the water and set them right in front of the water. Chicks rely on momma to show them where food and water is. Next, get a paper towel and sprinkle crushed feed on it right in front of the feeder so they see the food and know where it's stored. I recommend crushing the feed a bit for the first few days, chicks this tiny can't swallow big crumble.

Congrats on your new chicks! :jumpy

I'm late to this party, but wanted to say I had two chicks with dented eggshells that hatched successfully. I dropped one egg during candling at lockdown, and it fell on top of the other egg, denting and cracking both. One hatched on its own perfectly but the inside of the shell showed there'd been quite a lot of bleeding before hatch. The other one's face got stuck to the membrane and I had to assist the hatch. It was also quite bloody (old blood) inside. But both chicks were FINE.

Okay! Thank you!
Good morning y'all! Good job on getting them out of their eggs @Coop-de-doop !

Yes, similar to when we wake up with our arm asleep after a long night with it in a weird spot, the chicks bodies will be a bit contorted.

The bad news is that they can't eat and take care of themselves this way. The good news is they have every thing they need for 72 hours after absorbing all the yolk from the egg. So you have at least 2 days from this point before the chick will HAVE to eat and drink. In that time, you should see the chick begin to improve.

It is always good to add to their water, regardless of circumstances, extra nutrients and "boosters" - usually premeasured packs of electrolytes and vitamins available at feed stores. It is going to be imperative for twister here to get some of those extras.

We try to be as natural and self sustaining as possible, so we just dissolve sugar in water and feed fermented food - we rarely lose chicks for any reason with these two adds and see a lot repair themselves after a difficult hatch. But the electrolyte packs are cheap and easy as well, so you may prefer these depending on your flock goals.

Lastly, there is a really good chance twister is going to end up with splay leg - which is no big deal if treated early. You will want to make sure that you have some very small rubber bands on hand, as well as plastic straws. I can help further or reference articles if you start seeing the chicks legs or a single leg - stick out sideways in a very unnatural way.

Back
Top Bottom