Dented egg day 17

Pics

Coop-de-doop

Songster
Mar 14, 2023
I was doing my last turn over before lockdown, and dented one of the eggs pretty good. Nothing is leaking out. Should I leave it in there? I feel awful

Attachments

• IMG_3137.jpeg
    IMG_3137.jpeg
    203.9 KB · Views: 1,034
I don't think you did that unless you're in the habit of slamdunking the eggs. It should be ok
It dropped out of the incubator onto the table when I was turning them. The fan turned on and hit my hand, so I jerked back and it fell out 😭 The membrane is exposed too

Okay! I’m new to hatching. If it looks dry during lockdown, is it okay to open the incubator and dab it? Lockdown starts in the morning

Okay! I’m new to hatching. If it looks dry during lockdown, is it okay to open the incubator and dab it? Lockdown starts in the morning
Although lockdown is important, it isn't as extreme as it is cracked out to be, assuming you have had good humidity throughout the hatch and you are a bit more careful when they are just pipped.

You obviously don't want to have the lid off for an hour, but if you are just opening it to tend to an egg you don't have to worry about it.

If possible, I would suggest using coconut oil to moisten the membrane. If not, water should be okay, but for me personally, the coconut oil gives me a bit more confidence and doesn't contribute to my already unbearable anxiety while hatching!!! 😬😬

Although lockdown is important, it isn't as extreme as it is cracked out to be, assuming you have had good humidity throughout the hatch and you are a bit more careful when they are just pipped.

You obviously don't want to have the lid off for an hour, but if you are just opening it to tend to an egg you don't have to worry about it.

If possible, I would suggest using coconut oil to moisten the membrane. If not, water should be okay, but for me personally, the coconut oil gives me a bit more confidence and doesn't contribute to my already unbearable anxiety while hatching!!! 😬😬
Oh I may still have some coconut oil! Thank you! I held my light gently up to the egg without moving it, and it’s still moving in there. I hope I don’t mess this up. I’m so nervous!

Oh I may still have some coconut oil! Thank you! I held my light gently up to the egg without moving it, and it’s still moving in there. I hope I don’t mess this up. I’m so nervous!
My wife and I have 5 kids, I can confidently say that I get more nervous on hatch day than I did in the hospital for any of them!

There is an excellent article here on BYC about assisted hatching. Let me see if I can link it. Not that you'll need to help for any reason related to the crack, but i strongly encourage anyone to read it approaching hatch so you can be prepared for any situation.

Back
Top Bottom