Incubating Muscovy and Pekin eggs at different ages and I can’t tell the difference! How can I tell??

What do you mean by shifting around? It's normal for the air cell to get very large and dip down the side a bit close to hatch, is that what you mean?
Hi!
Yes, they were straight across and now they are wavy, more to one side and dipped way down you said.
This hatch is so confusing because I just don’t know if they are pure Muscovy, pure Pekin or crossed. It’s day 27 and they are in lockdown as I was informed to do, but if they are pure Muscovy will the early lockdown hurt them? Because as you know Muscovy’s take much longer., 🧐

Hi!
Yes, they were straight across and now they are wavy, more to one side and dipped way down you said.
This hatch is so confusing because I just don’t know if they are pure Muscovy, pure Pekin or crossed. It’s day 27 and they are in lockdown as I was informed to do, but if they are pure Muscovy will the early lockdown hurt them? Because as you know Muscovy’s take much longer., 🧐
It won't hurt them, the way the air cells look are good indicators, and from that aircell it's clear that they're ready for lockdown.

But hypothetically let's say they hatch later than expected, still okay.
I had a staggered hatch with my girls, mallard derived breed. One egg was day 25 and the other day 21.
I locked them down, and I didn't get a hatch until day 31. (Due to my incubator running cooler than I had previously believed) I assisted the hatch after the process slowed to a stop, and she was well.
By then, my younger egg was on day 27. And she hatched 4 days later, again day 31.
So she was in lockdown for about 9 days before she hatched. And she was okay. I believe she would've hatched a little earlier, day 30 maybe, if not for the high humidity over that time, which slowed things down. But she was fine.

They're often times hardy little things, I wouldn't worry. Yours look more than ready for lockdown.

It won't hurt them, the way the air cells look are good indicators, and from that aircell it's clear that they're ready for lockdown.

But hypothetically let's say they hatch later than expected, still okay.
I had a staggered hatch with my girls, mallard derived breed. One egg was day 25 and the other day 21.
I locked them down, and I didn't get a hatch until day 31. (Due to my incubator running cooler than I had previously believed) I assisted the hatch after the process slowed to a stop, and she was well.
By then, my younger egg was on day 27. And she hatched 4 days later, again day 31.
So she was in lockdown for about 9 days before she hatched. And she was okay. I believe she would've hatched a little earlier, day 30 maybe, if not for the high humidity over that time, which slowed things down. But she was fine.

They're often times hardy little things, I wouldn't worry. Yours look more than ready for lockdown.
IMG_8908.png

Precious
As you know already, a little mirror or plush animal may help with loneliness
Fingers crossed for the other baby!
Oh yes, he has a stuffed animal and a little nest with a baby blanket. I’m looking everywhere for a mirror and if I can’t find one I’m going to run to Walmart. I should have had one ready!! I’m just wondering what’s going on with the other egg. It’s the same age but hasn’t internally pipped yet. I don’t want to keep checking because it’s in lockdown, so I honestly don’t know as I’m afraid to keep opening the incubator.
I guess it’s up to the duckling now, but I’m nervous because it’s the egg with the dent.
No leakage, expect for the dent.
I put tape on it and the duckling is still alive and it’s been a week since the dent happened.
I’m torn in regards to if I should check on it or let nature take its course, but if any air got in from the dent he could be shrink wrapped!!!
I really don’t know what to do! 😩

Oh yes, he has a stuffed animal and a little nest with a baby blanket. I’m looking everywhere for a mirror and if I can’t find one I’m going to run to Walmart. I should have had one ready!! I’m just wondering what’s going on with the other egg. It’s the same age but hasn’t internally pipped yet. I don’t want to keep checking because it’s in lockdown, so I honestly don’t know as I’m afraid to keep opening the incubator.
I guess it’s up to the duckling now, but I’m nervous because it’s the egg with the dent.
No leakage, expect for the dent.
I put tape on it and the duckling is still alive and it’s been a week since the dent happened.
I’m torn in regards to if I should check on it or let nature take its course, but if any air got in from the dent he could be shrink wrapped!!!
I really don’t know what to do! 😩
I doubt that its shrink wrapped, some do just take longer.
Do you have any pictures of the dent/with the tape on? Opening the incubator is okay if brief, but I don't reccomend picking the egg up or moving it about.

Hello to all!

My ducks have began to lay again but are not sitting. They dug a deep hole and laid 6 eggs. The problem is we now have Pekins as well and I honestly don’t know if the eggs are Muscovy or Pekin! I need to find out because lockdown is different and the eggs are of different ages. If they are Pekin lockdown is in 3 days! But if they are Muscovy then lockdown will not be for another 10 days.
I’ve candled them and they are are doing well.
The 2 oldest are completely full but I truly cannot tell because I have only had Muscovy’s and what if they are “mixed” when would lockdown be if they are half Pekin and half Muscovy?
And also, my dog bumped me when I was candling and the lid of the incubator dented one of the eggs!
There is no leakage and the membrane is fine.
The duckling is still moving but I put tape over the dent and keep a very close eye on it.
It is one of the 2 oldest eggs and almost completely full.
I’m so scared and praying it will be ok!

Ugh, I don’t know what to do!!! 😥View attachment 3768642View attachment 3768643
I am in the same boat! Thought my eggs were Pekins, except for one. Now I know they were layed by my muscovy. The problem is, my drakes are Pekins, so these would be hinnies. Two of my eggs are completely full looking. I have five more that don't seem quite as developed. Today is day 26 for me. It's hard to find info on incubating Muscovy eggs. Let me know how it's going for you. Definitely a learning process for me!

Back
Top Bottom