Please help! I can’t tell if my eggs are”Mules”, if my Pekin mated with my Muscovy. When should lockdown be? & I’m scared about the dent as well! 😩

AmyA248

Songster
Jun 20, 2022
Hi!

I honestly can’t tell if my 4 duck eggs are Mules, I have Muscovy’s and one Female Pekin.
They dug a hole and laid 5 eggs on different dates, only 2 are the same age, 26 days today.
If they are Mules I don’t know when to start lockdown, they are doing so well I don’t want to lose them!
Is it rare that they interbreed?
Can anyone tell the difference by looking at these photos and the eggs? Please help! 🙏
And the one with the dent is still fine, no leakage and no damage to the membrane.
Is this dent going to make hatching difficult???
I’m very concerned..

IMG_8856.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8840.jpeg
    IMG_8840.jpeg
    143.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8843.jpeg
    IMG_8843.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8845.jpeg
    IMG_8845.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8797.jpeg
    IMG_8797.jpeg
    416.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8799.jpeg
    IMG_8799.jpeg
    295.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8798.jpeg
    IMG_8798.jpeg
    348 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8857.jpeg
    IMG_8857.jpeg
    86.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8858.jpeg
    IMG_8858.jpeg
    92.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8856.jpeg
    IMG_8856.jpeg
    123.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
They should be in lockdown now.

You'll find out what you've got in just a few days.

Hope you have a great hatch!
Hi!
Thank you!
Is it normal for the air sacks to change shape when in lockdown? They were straight across and now they’re all curvy!.. They haven’t internally pipped yet and I’m getting worried. No more fluid and the eggs are completely FULL!
I just don’t know what the shift in the air sacks mean.. 🥰

Attachments

• Resized_Resized_1000000486_623422435331004.jpeg
    Resized_Resized_1000000486_623422435331004.jpeg
    400.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Resized_Resized_1000000484_623259571069148.jpeg
    Resized_Resized_1000000484_623259571069148.jpeg
    427.2 KB · Views: 11
Hi!
Thank you!
Is it normal for the air sacks to change shape when in lockdown? They were straight across and now they’re all curvy!.. They haven’t internally pipped yet and I’m getting worried. No more fluid and the eggs are completely FULL!
I just don’t know what the shift in the air sacks mean.. 🥰
They poke their head through the air sack so maybe that's what you saw, an internal pip or the duck is repositioning getting ready to pip.

They should be hatching today, right? We'll want pictures!!

They poke their head through the air sack so maybe that's what you saw, an internal pip or the duck is repositioning getting ready to pip.

They should be hatching today, right? We'll want pictures!!
Hi!
I don’t see any beak movement though, I don’t think it’s pipped internally yet and today is day 27. But if they are a cross it may take a bit longer than if they are pure Pekins, and if they are pure Muscovy’s then they have much more time, but I was informed to put them in lockdown. Could putting them in lockdown too early hurt them if they are pure Muscovy??
I’m SO confused

In my experience, others' may be different, it's better to lock down early than late. I've had issues with slow development from lower-than-indicated Temps from a now-retired incubator with both chickens and ducks. They still hatched after being in lockdown for a whole week. Yours look like they are preparing to internally pip and should definitely be in lockdown.

In my experience, others' may be different, it's better to lock down early than late. I've had issues with slow development from lower-than-indicated Temps from a now-retired incubator with both chickens and ducks. They still hatched after being in lockdown for a whole week. Yours look like they are preparing to internally pip and should definitely be in lockdown.
Thank you!
You were right!!
We have our first Pekin duckling and he hatched totally on his own, unlike any of our Muscovy’s that all needed assistance.
I’m hoping that the other egg that is the same age hatches soon because I heard that they can die of loneliness even though we have been holding him and snuggling with him.
He has blankets and a stuffed animal but I need to get a mirror in with him as well.
We are so happy to have our first Pekin duckling as we rescued his parents, but he could be a “Mule”. I honestly can’t tell but he hatched on day 29.. 🧐

Attachments

• IMG_8908.png
    IMG_8908.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
Thank you!
You were right!!
We have our first Pekin duckling and he hatched totally on his own, unlike any of our Muscovy’s that all needed assistance.
I’m hoping that the other egg that is the same age hatches soon because I heard that they can die of loneliness even though we have been holding him and snuggling with him.
He has blankets and a stuffed animal but I need to get a mirror in with him as well.
We are so happy to have our first Pekin duckling as we rescued his parents, but he could be a “Mule”. I honestly can’t tell but he hatched on day 29.. 🧐
Aren’t Pekins pure white? He does not appear to be so I think he might be a mix or mule

Aren’t Pekins pure white? He does not appear to be so I think he might be a mix or mule
Maybe! Pekins are yellow until they get their adult feathers. The ducklings are yellow, and Muscovy ducklings are brown and yellow or black and yellow.
I never had a pure yellow duckling before. He needs to be cleaned a bit, he has some “goo” left over on him from hatching, but I don’t want him to get a chill by bathing him. 🥰

Maybe! Pekins are yellow until they get their adult feathers. The ducklings are yellow, and Muscovy ducklings are brown and yellow or black and yellow.
I never had a pure yellow duckling before. He needs to be cleaned a bit, he has some “goo” left over on him from hatching, but I don’t want him to get a chill by bathing him. 🥰
Ohhhhhh okay. It could be goo leftover then. I knew the babies were yellow though, moreso meant the brown on him, should’ve clarified that, sorry. Could be hatching goo though.

Back
Top Bottom