Deodorizing a leather couch

Xtina

Songster
11 Years
Jul 1, 2008
Portland, Oregon
Last fall, I inherited some nice leather couches from my ex boss, and immediately got rid of the old ones. I then regretted the decision because I realized that my boss must've been smoking in the house. Those first few weeks, I did everything I could think of to deodorize these bad boys. I washed them with lots of things many times, I left cleaning potions under the couches that were supposed to absorb the stink, I did all kinds of wacky stuff. But the couches never totally lost their smell. A big part of the problem is that the cushions don't come out. They are sewed in. And you cannot take out the cushions' foam inserts to air them out outside or wash them individually. And I think I'm mildly allergic to them...the smell of them makes me sneeze and my eyes water up! At this point, I'm pretty sure that there's nothing that will ever deodorize these couches, but I'm posting here for some advice anyway. The only thing left that I can think of to do is wait for a dry weather forecast week this summer and take them outside to air out overnight for a few days. Does the BYC have any advice for me?

newspapers get rid of smells, is there anyway you can get a lot of news papers and wrap your couch up in them? I know it sounds crazy. and even wad some up in a ball and stuff them in the cracks, Just be careful if the couch is light colored the print will rub off on the couch. I don't know how long you would need to keep the couch wrapped maybe a couple of days? also vinegar mixed with water is a good deodirizer.

That's a great idea! I think I'll try that this weekend. I have tons of newspapers saved up from when the Oregonian ran a promotion and gave people free newspapers for about a month. I saved them all to put down on my garden beds to prevent weeds next winter, but I think I'll use them for this instead.

Back
Top Bottom