Deposits on our eggs...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dardino37, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Dardino37

Dardino37 New Egg

Aug 29, 2008
    Belding, MI
    First time poster! [​IMG]

One of our hens has been a very good layer for us, being fairly regular. Recently, we noticed some interesting 'spots' or deposits on the shells. They are pretty small, round, in decent sized clusters, and are the same or lighter color of the shell itself. My wife, who is a vet student, thinks that it could be some kind of fungal infection, but we just aren't sure. It doesn't seem to be effecting her in any way, and the shells are pretty hard still. We just want to get some answers. Thanks!!! [​IMG]

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Probably calcium deposits.

3. arllcountrygirl

arllcountrygirl lavender nutt

[​IMG]

4. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    If they're those raised, hard little bumps - like mini pimples - they're just calcium deposits. Harmless.

Some of mine lay speckled eggs. The spots are just part of the shell and don't rub off. My BR lays a pinkish egg with tiny light purple spots - I think it's so pretty!

[​IMG]

5. ewesfullchicks

ewesfullchicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2007
    Yup! I agree with the other posters - just harmless calcium deposits - nothing to worry about at all. In fact, if you pick at them, they'll eventually come off leaving a tiny little hole in the egg. So don't to that!

6. Dardino37

Dardino37 New Egg

Aug 29, 2008
    Belding, MI
    Great! That's kind of what we were guessing at too, but after a few days, we were a little worried. They definitely raised, and do come off, but I'm just leaving them for now. Thank you so much for the help everyone!

Our hens all lay different colored eggs, which is good for keeping track of who is laying each day. In fact, the one in question, normally is light brown with dark brown speckles, and another is tan with brown spots. Always fun:D!

7. newchickmom

newchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    [​IMG]
    Some of mine are like that. I think they are all from the younger hens.

8. princess araucana

princess araucana Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Rhode Island
    I was just farm sitting for 30 RIR, one egg would have a few clusters of round little tiny balls all stuck together, they would come off very easily. They were about the same color as the shell. Was that just calcium too? I was grossed out thinking they were like fly eggs or something!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by