Deposits on shells

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by EasterEggDrew, Feb 26, 2017.

1. EasterEggDrew

EasterEggDrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2016
    One or two of my young hens is laying eggs with what appears to be thick calcium deposits on their brown eggs. Normal, or a sign of trouble?

[​IMG]

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I have had several to lay eggs like that without an issue, so IMO don't worry as long as she is acting normally.

3. BobDBirdDog

BobDBirdDog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Tennessee
    Most likely No issues, they are probably just getting too much oyster shell or other calcium.

4. EasterEggDrew

Aug 9, 2016
    Thank you! Good to know it's not a major concern.

One is a barred rock, very similar to the one in your avatar, sunflour. So, maybe it's just that breed? I honestly don't know which of my birds is laying those eggs, and I have four breeds.

They're eating Dumor layer crumble complete formula, and I just added insoluble grit to their diets, but no oyster shells. The Dumor does have up to 4.8% calcium, so that might be it.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Agreed. I'm not sure how long they have been laying, but new layers can take a while before their egg-laying plumbing gets working smoothly.

6. Cerise1924

Cerise1924 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a 5 month old BCM who just started laying a couple of weeks ago, and she sometimes has calcium deposits on her eggs. I have read that pullets have to 'adjust' to laying eggs, and that at first their eggs may come out odd... small, or double-yolked or not properly pigmented, or missing the shell or with calcium deposits... but that eventually they start laying more uniform eggs.

[​IMG]

7. flytie

flytie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2013
    New Jersey
    I have a RIR and she is turning 5 this year. She has always laid long, medium brown eggs with spots of calcium dots. (most similar to the 2nd egg from the left) She is perfectly fine with no known health problems. IMO, your birds are probably 100% fine as long as they act normal

Also, I love all those egg colors! I have some EE's from a hatchery and their green eggs along with my other brown ones make for a colorful basket! [​IMG]

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It's not that they are necessarily getting too much calcium, it's just that that one bird processes it differently than the others.
    I have had a couple birds that consistently, or inconsistently, had calcium bumps on eggs.

The insoluble grit(granite?) for digestion?
    Don't mix it in with the feed, separate container or just toss some out once in while...I put a handful in the dust bathing areas.

9. EasterEggDrew

Aug 9, 2016
    Thanks! @aart, I put some granite grit in a separate chick feeder, based on advice I received in another thread. They took up a surprising amount of it in the first few days, but seem to have tapered off since.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  10. elenas farm

elenas farm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2017
    Thomasville, NC, 27360
    It happens, it is perfectly normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by