Depressed chicken? What do I do...

I agree with cafarmgirl...it is sensible to introduce chicks in the manner she has described...chickens can be mean and very territorial...Joy is stressed now without her companion...keep up the TLC you are giving her...I gave a teddy bear to one of mine when she lost her flockmate...she freaked and pecked at the eyes...teddy was relegated to the dustbin...I guess they react differently to their own situation...hope you find some chicks soon for Joy to enjoy.

Thanks for your opinion! She has not gone broody, and honestly I don't think she ever will. I will try and get an area in the coop where I can have the chick brooder.

Also guys, bad news, I think.

I just went outside and saw that she has not been drinking much water, though she is eating normally. That was the first scare, until I saw some dropping she recently left that look...strange. Can I have your opinion? It almost looks like dog food, which she has nibbled on a piece or two yestery. To be honest, I don't know if it is hers, but it has a little hole and it looked connected..sooo...tell me what you think..

I split it up at the end here, and it was quite firm...almost like cold meat.

Any ideas???
idunno.gif

This could be coming from the uterus....left over egg yolk that may have cooked for a long time in the uterus and has finally passed. It may be something she couldn't digest too. The other poop looks just fine.

I would say as long as this is a rare occurrence, it is nothing to worry about. If she starts to pass too many of these, there could be an issue going on inside her.

When birds get shocked or stressed by their environment it can throw their system out of whack. They can stop laying for months as well. Just keep an eye on her. It wouldn't hurt to add probiotics to her water or feed or even a vitamin supplement to help keep her immune system up. Until she adjusts, she is going to be confused on the inside and out.

This could be coming from the uterus....left over egg yolk that may have cooked for a long time in the uterus and has finally passed. It may be something she couldn't digest too. The other poop looks just fine.

I would say as long as this is a rare occurrence, it is nothing to worry about. If she starts to pass too many of these, there could be an issue going on inside her.

When birds get shocked or stressed by their environment it can throw their system out of whack. They can stop laying for months as well. Just keep an eye on her. It wouldn't hurt to add probiotics to her water or feed or even a vitamin supplement to help keep her immune system up. Until she adjusts, she is going to be confused on the inside and out.
I agree, she is probably fine

Thanks, guys.

I'm starting to think I'm just as stressed as her. Ugh.
Seriously, thanks for all the support and answers! I don't know what I would do without BYC.

Greenfire is a little pricey for me, and I only want 3 chicks, but the minimum was 6. Are there any other hatcheries, small or big, that sell chicks year round? I have been doing lots of research, but I can't seem to find any that come quickly...except California Hatchery. Has anyone dealt with California hatchery? I am thinking of getting the 'Available Now Assortment', which has mixed breeds of the most popular layers and comes within 2 weeks of ordering.

UPDATE #1:

Hey guys,

I am proud to announce that I ordered 3 chicks from California Hatchery: they should be here within two weeks! I am so excited to meet my new babies and for Joy to possibly adopt them.
yesss.gif

I'm not sure if it will happen, but I asked the hatchery to possibly include an easter egger (which I've wanted FOREVER).

Thanks for all the help.

Happy Holidays,
Lauren

Last edited:
UPDATE #1:

Hey guys,

I am proud to announce that I ordered 3 chicks from California Hatchery: they should be here within two weeks! I am so excited to meet my new babies and for Joy to possibly adopt them.
yesss.gif

I'm not sure if it will happen, but I asked the hatchery to possibly include an easter egger (which I've wanted FOREVER).

Thanks for all the help.

Happy Holidays,
Lauren
woot.gif

Enjoy your new babies and keep us posted on your flock!! :)

UPDATE #2:

Bad news, my order got cancelled, and it turns out that California Hatchery does not take calls...only emails. And even worse, they don't seem to answer emails, as mine was rejected due to the fact that their inbox is completely full. I'm hoping it is that full because they are popular, not ignorant.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom