Depressed Chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by silkiechickens8, Jul 8, 2016.

1. silkiechickens8

silkiechickens8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2015
    One of my older silkies (the one in my profile picture) died a few days ago and I am devastated, but my poor polish bantam hen is mourning real bad. She was raised by this silkie (who was a dependable mother and raised a lot of my chicks) but while the other ones eventually ventured away from their 'mother', she didn't. They used to sleep together away from all the chickens every night. Should I get another Polish to keep her company (I have another one, but she's in a different coop with my OEGB rooster) or should I get her a chick or two to raise (she becomes broody as soon as she sees a chick. Any help would be appreciated! I hate seeing my girl so sad. Thanks!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I have seen some depressed chickens when they lose someone they are close to. Some have remained despondent for 6 months before perking up, but they often remain alone after that, and don't bond with anyone else. I don't think another adult will work well, but her own chicks might help, I would go that route and see how it goes.

3. silkiechickens8

silkiechickens8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2015
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by