depressed chicken?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BellaBokBok, Aug 8, 2014.

1. BellaBokBok

BellaBokBok Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2012
    Australia
    my smallest hen is acting very sad. walking slowly, just hanging out by herself, either standing in the coop or standing in the dog kennel if the dog isn't in there.... shes very poofy, suddenly become very round all over, kind of looking like a basketball and just walking very slowly only when she has a reason to, like if im coming up to her she'll walk away from me, or if she's just been let out and she wants to eat the dogs food
    they've always helped themselves to dog food when they get let out to roam the back yard, but have constant access to layer pellets, even though they're not laying anymore
    other hen looks perfectly fine, acting normal
    both have white poop on the feathers around their vents...

2. BellaBokBok

Jul 27, 2012
    Australia
    [​IMG]
    missing feathers around her neck that she wasn't missing yesterday, got poop on her back so she was sitting under the roosts getting pooped on by her sister last night...I tried to nudge her but she used her wing to balance and refuses to move at all, tail is pointing down but shes not pushing or making egg laying noises, both girls haven't layed me anything for months so I think they're done. they're both 2 years old.
    her sister is being protective of her and standing guard at the coop door, shes already spent a day without her when she went missing so I think she knows shes probably going to lose her again...
    I don't know what to do to help either of them right now and im very scared

3. BellaBokBok

Jul 27, 2012
    Australia
    please help

4. BellaBokBok

Jul 27, 2012
    Australia
    me and my mother are preparing for her to die. making her as comfortable as possible.

5. wnancy

wnancy Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2014
    Bloomfield, Iowa
    I'm sorry to hear about your chicken. I am pretty new to chickens, but am also treating a sick chicken, so thought I would chime in just to maybe help you get started.

Read about Coccidiosis , Botulism, vitamin deficiency

See if any of those fit. A vet did tell me that chicken feed has everything that they need, so if they eat something else instead of it, they are missing something.

Maybe start her with some supportive care. Electrolyte solution for chickens. If she will drink, let her have all she wants. If she wont drink you can feed her with syringe. Mine likes it if I add it to her feed and make a mash for her.

Its best to separate her from your other chickens. Bloody stool can be sign of coccidiosis.

It is important to keep her hydrated, warm and dry. Read a lot about different diseases and if you have a avian vet available, it would be good to talk to them.

Take care

6. BellaBokBok

Jul 27, 2012
    Australia
    she passed away. we do not know what was wrong with her.

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Very sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by