Depressed duck

AbbyJewell

Hatching
Oct 8, 2018
hi! I’m new to BYC. I’ve had chickens most of my adult life, since I worked at Plymouth Plantation in Plymouth, Ma 25 years ago.

Stupidly on a whim, my kids and I bought 4 ducklings this past spring. Much to my husbands chagrin. (He loves them more than anyone now)

My problem is, that one of our females, (we have 2 hens and 2 drakes, Everyone gets along and by some miracle our drakes are very mellow and kind to each other and the two girls) My problem is one female, (blue runner duck?) seems depressed. They all used to be inseparable, but now she seems sort of sad. She sleeps on her own in the day, doesn’t swim as much as the others, and is becoming more of a loner. The two males don’t often mate with her, and she hops out of the pond if there is any mating activity going on. They don’t seem to mate like other drakes I’ve heard about, but I catch them at it several times a week. But usually with the little brown female we have. She is eating and comes for treats, but somehow I don’t like the looks of her... Any ideas?

BYC and Ducks.jpg

Post the question on the duck forum

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/ducks.42/

:frowWelcome to BYC!

Thanks for joining. You have come to the right place!

There are alot of amazing people that are willing to help with whatever they can, you can also go
Check out the Learning Center it has tons of great information and articles for just fun reads!

Enjoy!​

Back
Top Bottom