Depressed Goose?

Britt10

In the Brooder
Jan 19, 2016
Hello all. I have a year old goose ( not sure of the breed because this is my first time owning water fowl ) and he has been acting strange for about a week. He normally is housed with 3 other male ducks and another male goose that he seems to get along with. However, the male ducks began trying to roost on him so I had to put him in with my female duck and he two little babies. Normally he squalls when talked to, but I've noticed that he is he always silent. It looks like his right leg may be bothering which could be due to the ducks trying to roost on him. He's normally very territorial when it comes to the ducks, but he now just lets them do whatever. Today he laid in the same spot for hours, not moving. He's ate a little, but nothing like he used to. My father was actually able to pick him up ( which he normally can't because he's a speedy little sucker ) and put him in the duck house. I'm not sure if he's depressed or sick, and I don't know how to tell the difference. I don't want him suffering so I might end up taking him to the vet tomorrow, but I wanted to get an idea of what you guys thought it might be or if you've experienced it with your geese. Also, if I do take him to the vet any suggestions on the best way to transport him so he's comfortable?

Hello all. I have a year old goose ( not sure of the breed because this is my first time owning water fowl ) and he has been acting strange for about a week. He normally is housed with 3 other male ducks and another male goose that he seems to get along with. However, the male ducks began trying to roost on him so I had to put him in with my female duck and he two little babies. Normally he squalls when talked to, but I've noticed that he is he always silent. It looks like his right leg may be bothering which could be due to the ducks trying to roost on him. He's normally very territorial when it comes to the ducks, but he now just lets them do whatever. Today he laid in the same spot for hours, not moving. He's ate a little, but nothing like he used to. My father was actually able to pick him up ( which he normally can't because he's a speedy little sucker ) and put him in the duck house. I'm not sure if he's depressed or sick, and I don't know how to tell the difference. I don't want him suffering so I might end up taking him to the vet tomorrow, but I wanted to get an idea of what you guys thought it might be or if you've experienced it with your geese. Also, if I do take him to the vet any suggestions on the best way to transport him so he's comfortable?

Welcome to BYC @Britt10

Best way to transport is in a large dog crate with towels on the bottom. I think a vet would be a good idea usually by the time we see symptoms they are feeling pretty bad so getting a vet to look him over is a good idea. Ask about a fecal to check for parasites. They usually aren't very expensive. and please let us know what they say..

Thank you for the reply! Sadly I found him about an hour ago already deceased. I buried him in our rose garden. Although it breaks my heart I'm glad he's in a better place. Wish I knew what caused this, but I think it's better just to move on. Thank you again for the advice on transport. Surely I will need it in the future!

Thank you for the reply! Sadly I found him about an hour ago already deceased. I buried him in our rose garden. Although it breaks my heart I'm glad he's in a better place. Wish I knew what caused this, but I think it's better just to move on. Thank you again for the advice on transport. Surely I will need it in the future!
@Britt10 I am so sorry keep A close eye on the rest. Add some good poultry vitamins to their drinking buckets for about a week just to boost immune system.

Back
Top Bottom