Depressed/Injured Rooster

chloereale

Hatching
Oct 29, 2020
I believe my rooster got hit by a car yesterday, I was inside and heard a thump and when I looked outside I saw my rooster struggling to run back to our yard. I immediately ran outside, picked him up and checked him for injuries. I did not see any blood though I could tell he was hurt because he could not stand up and he’s usually feisty though I held him in a towel for about 2 hours and he continued to sleep in my arms. I let him sleep inside my room that night in a separate homemade coop out of an empty storage container to make sure he was alright. I read that it is best to keep him isolated while he heals though when I was setting up our extra smaller coop this morning he broke free and ran right out to the yard. He is limping pretty bad but was eating and drinking really good today but he seems like he’s depressed. He’s usually very talkative and crows loud and proud all throughout the day but he has not crowed once. Are there any suggestions on what I should do? It breaks my heart to see him like this.

I believe my rooster got hit by a car yesterday, I was inside and heard a thump and when I looked outside I saw my rooster struggling to run back to our yard. I immediately ran outside, picked him up and checked him for injuries. I did not see any blood though I could tell he was hurt because he could not stand up and he’s usually feisty though I held him in a towel for about 2 hours and he continued to sleep in my arms. I let him sleep inside my room that night in a separate homemade coop out of an empty storage container to make sure he was alright. I read that it is best to keep him isolated while he heals though when I was setting up our extra smaller coop this morning he broke free and ran right out to the yard. He is limping pretty bad but was eating and drinking really good today but he seems like he’s depressed. He’s usually very talkative and crows loud and proud all throughout the day but he has not crowed once. Are there any suggestions on what I should do? It breaks my heart to see him like this.
:welcome
Can you please post some photos or get a video of him walking?

Look him over really well for bruising, abrasions, etc.
Since he's eating/drinking o.k. that's a good sign. It may be that he's really sore and it's going to take time to heal.
Sometimes an injured a rooster won't crow for a few days.

Look forward to your photos and more information.

Last edited:
He might have a broken or sprained leg. But he definitely has a broken pride. I had a rooster get viscously attacked by another rooster. Literally had every feather plucked from his head and it was super swollen. When he recovered enough to rejoin the flock (after devil rooster had been put in an isolation cage) he didn’t crow or do anything rooster-y for quite a while. It seemed to me that he just wasn’t feeling up to snuff and needed time to let the emotional wounds heal. He’s fine now and is singing with all the other boys. Once you get that leg checked out, it’ll probably just take time.

Since he's eating/drinking o.k. that's a good sign. It may be that he's really sore and it's going to take time to heal.

I am not able to upload the videos but he seems to hold his leg in the air sometimes when he is standing still not every time though. He seems to be walking okay just had a limp and tends to hop when moving fast. He’s a 7 month old silkie rooster, he doesn’t flinch when I feel around his leg and it does not seem to be swollen. I have a some self-adhesive sports wrap that I could wrap his leg in.

I am not able to upload the videos but he seems to hold his leg in the air sometimes when he is standing still not every time though. He seems to be walking okay just had a limp and tends to hop when moving fast. He’s a 7 month old silkie rooster, he doesn’t flinch when I feel around his leg and it does not seem to be swollen. I have a some self-adhesive sports wrap that I could wrap his leg in.
If there's no swelling, doesn't seem to indicate pain and he's moving about a little, I think I would just give him a couple of days to see if he improves.

Back
Top Bottom