Dermal sex link says female, comb says something else?

Uh oh i have silkie leghorn crosses in the bator right now and i just found out that poppy is a boy and that the cross doesnt work 100% 🤯
Yes! Nobody seems to be able to explain it. I keep getting suggested that I may have switched the eggs by mistake, which is not the case. Hundred percent sure of his parents. Apparently in my case it’s a fluke! But unfortunately I am not doing this cross again if I can’t rely on the results.🙁
There was another thread that I read through with somebody who did an Ayam Cemani with leg horn and had the same kind of mixed results.
So apparently it works most of the time but not always. Unreliable at best.
Very disappointing.😢

No! It does work every time! And that’s why I’m so confused.
Well, I guess there are rare exceptions. No doubt that Poppy is a male, crowing and developing leakage over the shoulders.
Skin is definitely black. The stated parents are definitely the parents. 🤷‍♀️

Comb is red. I understood that the skin color is what determines the gender, so if the skin is black, that should not matter, if you are trying to identify the gender at hatch, there would be no comb yet to go by. You can not go by the leg color necessarily at hatch either, from what I was told.😊
I checked this chick over from head to toe under the down and feathers. Skin is completely black, no doubt about it.

Some new photos of Poppy just now this morning.He is 8 and a half weeks old. He is in the tractor waiting to go to my friends place. She has room for more roosters so he should be happy there!🥰
C510B17C-1113-4594-BE15-E45F73238B67.jpeg
61134F41-475B-4301-9EFD-6A1DE217F1ED.jpeg
37505CC5-0489-48A4-8F61-9F119B54ED5D.jpeg
A82B5A74-48EB-4FD4-AB24-7FB0E472A144.jpeg
8D40CDFB-069A-47DE-8E4D-CDD37C7FCF1D.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom