Des Moines Washington Law

Hi there,

I was wondering, was there any change to the existing laws for backyard chickens? I've read over it and it's very confusing to me! I'm not really sure how many we are allowed to have...?

Last year, Burl seemed to think that all was well with his work convincing the council to change our laws. Nothing has happened. We checked on line and they only sent it to a committee in March or April of 2016 that has not done anything good in years. Useless people on our council. If you are smarter and more convincing than others, please keep trying, but I can't give them any more of my time or hard work. Banging my head against their wall hurts too much.

Presenting to city council tonight. Proposed change looks more like this...

18.150.XXX Domestic Fowl.
Up to three (3) domesticated fowl may be kept on any lot that is at least five thousand (5,000) square feet. These domesticated fowl are in addition to the small domesticated animals that may be permitted on a lot in accordance with 18.150.080 of this section. One (1) additional domesticated fowl is permitted for each one thousand (1,000) square feet of land in excess of the minimum five thousand (5,000) square foot threshold. In no case shall a coop or other accessory structure that restrains or houses domesticated fowl be located closer than ten (10) feet from any other residential lot. Domestic fowl in this section refers to those animals which provide household egg production, and/or kept as pets. Only female chickens/hens are permitted in this section. Ducks of both genders are acceptable. Roosters, or animals kept for meat, trade, breeding, or commercial purposes are not permitted in this section, and are subject to section 18.150.080.
An animal control officer visited my residence yesterday because of a neighbor complaint regarding my chickens. I was told I need to obtain a permit within 30 days for my (4) egg layers. I have been looking online all morning and can't seem to find information on obtaining a permit. Would you happen to know? I see you're in Des Moines also. Thanks.

I don't. I've been looking too and I think the rules/regulations regarding chickens are poorly written/vague/hard to understand! Maybe it's the same place you go to license pets?

Hello,

I know it's been a while since you posted this, but I hope it's not too late. I would like to help get the law changed in Des Moines. It's really silly that the law hasn't been in step with other cities around here. Especially since it looks like the industrial food system is going to suffer under the coming economic depression, everyone who can grow their own food should. How can I help get this reopenes with DM? Hope to hear from you. Thanks!

Hannah

Back
Top Bottom