Desert Urban Coop

I'm stealing someone else's line..............coop envy!
smile.png

Could there be some light shining on the coop where the roost is that is bothering the older ones? Mine prefer to roost in total darkness and get agitated if there is any light (even a flash light at bed check)

There is a night light. I put in a solar, single LED bulb to give them some light. It only lasts half the night. It seems that they dont want to climb up the ladder to get into the coop. The young birds fly up half way and walk up the rest into the coop.

Very nice. I like the way you integrated the coop and yard.

Nice craftsmanship and planning!
thumbsup.gif

Love the avatar too!

Don't forget to vote in the latest coop contest.

Quote:
Well, chickens being chickens....I don't know the answer...but mine did not roost until they were about 4 1/2 months old. They tried the roost a few times during the day, I knew they ould get on it but they preferred to sleep on a shelf. So, of course, silly me started out with a small coop and then had a lightbulb moment - oh, I have a barely used 8x12 garden shed....duh, make that the coop.....Anyway, I moved the girls a couple of weeks ago. Being chickens they did not like the change and upheaval.....So for several evenigs I had to go in with a flashlight, pick them up one by one and park their featherbutts on the (new) roost. They have it down now....So, I would try to put them on the roost AFTER it gets dark and hope that within a week they get the message....Maybe they also need a step or a ladder if they are not willing/able to get on the roost
hu.gif

This is something I need. Nice and shaded and something that blends in.

Are your older birds maybe heavier and having a hard time getting to the roost? They were in there first, so was there any roost at all? If not it may take a while for them to get the hang of it.

Back
Top Bottom