Design of Egg Roll-Out Roosting Nest

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bmarshgu, Jun 8, 2008.

1. bmarshgu

bmarshgu Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    I am currently constructing a coop for my chicks. I would like to get input on how to construct nests that allow the egg to roll out of the coop and be collected. Does anyone have any ideas? Angles and materials are my major concerns. Pics would be appreciated![​IMG]

2. rhetoric

rhetoric Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2008
    Western New York
    ditto what he (she?) asked.

3. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    At one of the plant nurseries here they have a chicken coop in the back with those type of nests that you are talking about. They are covered with old pieces of carpeting, the boxes have a gentle slope, and the channel for the eggs is also lined in old carpet.

I guess they just change the carpeting from time to time in the nest boxes. Old carpet is not hard to find for free.

Have no clue on the percentage of slope of the bottom of the nest boxes, the egg channel is built out from the rest of the coop, much like you see nest boxes built outside of the actual coop. The egg channel runs the length of nest boxes, and all the boxes "dump" eggs in the one channel.

If that makes any sense at all without photos.

4. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    I found this online a while ago when I was thinking of making some roll out nests....I can't remember where I found it, but I saved it to my computer.

[​IMG]

Maybe that will help spark some creativity.

5. bmarshgu

bmarshgu Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    Thank you for your input! If anyone else has anymore suggestions, they would be much appreciated!

6. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by