Designer Coops - Only in LA

ChickenWaterer

Songster
7 Years
Aug 20, 2012
Palo Alto, CA
An article in the LA times about how some owners go over the top to pamper their chickens in designer coops. https://www.latimes.com/lifestyle/story/2019-09-25/high-end-designer-chicken-coops-in-los-angeles

Makes perfect sense to me. ...but then I live in the burbs of LA.

First of all, our lots are small. They're often expressed as square feet on deeds. That means our coops are right in our faces all the time. ...and our neighbors' as well. So we want some level of personality or acceptibility whether it's a matter of funky cool or upscale design that complements the property.

Secondly, most of us are busy and don't count building skills as part of our repertoires. So we need to order the high end, built-to-last stuff or hire carpenters.

Thirdly, despite being a major urban environment we have a very healthy population of predators. Coyotes are everywhere. So are skunks and raccoons if you're anywhere near a park. The skies are full of hawks. Our neighborhoods are full of domestic pets who get loose. Those of us in the burbs, in hillside or mountain neighborhoods or near Griffith Park can add mountain lions to the inventory. So we don't have cheapie pre-builts for long. If we don't start out with mini Ft. Knoxes we get to them pretty fast. And those sturdy building materials are expensive! If you're gonna spend the $$ might as well get something to look at as well, no?

Finally, heat is a very serious issue here. We've had months upon months of triple-digit weather for the last several summers and there's little reason to expect less in the future. I lost a lovely hen to the heat my first year before I had any idea what was going on. Now I have an electric line installed out in the back and run fans at least in the worst part of the day for a couple months at a time.

All this gets expensive. Plus, if you're gonna have chickens, you want to enjoy your chickens. We're not country folks who just add them on to the rest of our rural way of life. It's a deliberate and committed choice so probably not surprising that those of us who are into it are into it.

Just as a matter if interest -- in case there is any -- I spent about $3K in materials and labor for my 8'x15' coop-over-run set up which is painted in a 4-color scheme that I spent some time working out. (PS I broke my foot falling off a ladder painting it.) Don't have any idea what I pay to run it but I'm sure it's well more than the price of eggs at Trader Joes. No matter. My chickens make me happy. They provide my grandson with a different perspective on life than he gets from day-to-day urban life. We love our eggs that are cruelty free. And they're not taking food out of anyone else's mouth. So why the hell not do it our way? :celebrate

YAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY for all my Angelino chickenistas!!!!

Last edited:
And from another perspective entirely, I live in a rural area, on 180 acres, at the top of a ridge, where our nearest neighbor is a 30 minute hike away. The only people who see our coop are my man & I, plus any family or company we have visiting us.

And yet, I would consider our 8' x 12' coop that houses our 18 chickens to be "designer". It has trellised vines growing up the back (west) wall, an auto chicken door that is installed within the wall cavity for aesthetics, with a corbel-embellished door awning, a sky-painted interior ceiling, and watercolor pictures of hens inside over the chicken door, a designer community roll out nesting box, galvanized droppings pans on the poop deck with deep storage underneath that holds feed and supplies, easily accessible by screened, hinged doors with slide-out steel shelves that clear the 6" high litter sill, full-size people doors on both ends of the coop for convenience (the north one opens into the covered run, which is also accessible by an exterior gate), four interior pvc feeders that are easily filled from storage bins inside that extend through the floor to also be accessible from outside (painted camo on the outside so they "disappear", again for aesthetics).

I spend a lot of time in there, before and after work, and on the weekends, keeping things tidy, collecting the eggs, giving little treats to my hens and photographing their antics. Both my chickens and my coop make me happy.

I don't think it matters where you live or what your viewpoint is... from no-nonsense utilitarianism, frugal minimalism or self-indulgent high style... there is no right way, there is only your way, and what works best for you and your hens' health and happiness.

Coop August morning fog.jpg

Feeders-outdoor.jpg

Perch.jpg

Feeders.jpg

Last edited:
I would consider our 8' x 12' coop that houses our 18 chickens to be "designer".

Wow, I have to agree, that's a beautiful set up!

I see all sorts of coops around here - from the very economical, recycled scraps type, to ones made to match a stable which matches the house. Since mine sits right in front of the house, I needed something that would at least look "nice enough" to have sitting up front.

How far is Palo Alto from LA, no i'm just kidding

SheSheer She Sheds:gig
LOL. There's some truth in what you say. My first coop was not fancy or pretty, but it was designed well and it took quite a bit of effort to build. It was my mid-life-crisis project.
Screen+Shot+2012-12-09+at+5.46.21+PM.png

Attachments

• Coop Front.png
    Coop Front.png
    465.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Coop Front.png
    Coop Front.png
    465.3 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom