designing new coop - wire mesh floor?

mcostas

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 2, 2010
I am wondering if this would be a good thing in part of my coop. It doesn't get very cold here, mine stayed on the roost the coldest nights, I manually put them in the coop a couple times. It rarely gets under 30 but this winter we had a few low 20 days.

But it gets very hot in the summer. I am currently using my small chicken tractor coop. I have a dark brahma hen and a banty hen. My chicks are 3 black sex links and 3 jersey giants.

I want to have to coop so they can hang out with comfort inside part of it, like a chicken porch, when the weather is mild. They all used to go in the coop in teh middle of the day to nap or something. Then a more sheltered area in the part in front of the nest boxes.

I already have a hole cut in the chain link, I would like to utilize that one. I may make another entrance in front of the other part. Here is a pick of the current set up. Due to gardening items, I cannot move the stuff around the pen, maybe an inch or so. I want the coop to be about 4 feet deep, can go a little deeper, and 8 feet long.

5049397868_4408c9680a.jpg

There are 2 doors that open outward into the pen.

Here you can see it from the front. I had window for ventilation, rain can come in if it's windy. This one was designed to cut corners and be light. The new coop will be properly framed and the ventilaion will be from the top. I plan on making it taller, for easy of maintainence. The floor will be taller as well so I will have a nice ramp with a large opening in the "porch" area. That's where I am thinking of doing the mesh floor, they will probably roost in front of the large door. I am thinking of making another smaller door at the other end of the coop. The nest boxes will extend out the back, and the sides will be hinged. There will be two removable trays that meet in the middle, so they can be more easily maintained.

I have no idea how to go about planning this. I am unsure about the openings and roosts right now. I may frame it, move it up to the run, decide on the doors and roost, build the front, push it up to the run and level, and make the rest. Part of the problem is I want the coop next to the run, and it needs to extend more to the side, not the back. Anyone have a suitable plan?

I guess that settles that! I am still wondering how open to make the coop. I'll have to do an mspaint illiustration to show what I mean.

Back
Top Bottom