Desperate help needed for cross stitch

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by vstoltzfus, Dec 15, 2009.

1. vstoltzfus

vstoltzfus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Lancaster County, PA
    Hello! I am not a cross-stitcher, but my mom was. She died in March, and for Christmas I want to frame a piece of cross stitch for my sister. I am attempting to do the framing myself, but I'm stuck at the first step. The cross stitch that I'm framing is a piece from a quilt Mom was working on. On the background of the fabric are blue dots which (I assume) are supposed to be quilted. But mom didn't get that far. I was told that if I wash the piece the blue dots would come out. But they are not! I am washing the piece in warm soapy water, but the dots are still there. Can someone tell me how to get them off? Thanks!

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Try Resolve. it used to be called Spray and Wash but they added Resolve carpet cleaner to it. If the dot are ink it may not come out. Can you post a pic?

3. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    Spray the dots with HairSpray, then wash.

4. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    I was gonna say hairspray or 70% alcohol

5. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:If they are printed with paint or ink, they will not come off. If they are printed with light blue water-soluable ink, then it doesn't take much to wash it out.

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Sounds like the dots are probably part of the pattern and supposed to be sewn over... I think, but don't qu0ote me, that those dots won't come off easily - the sewing is suppsed to cover them up.

7. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Quote:Yeah sometimes that carbon paper stuff (blue, white, yellow) that is suppose to wash out, doesn't if it's set for a long time.

8. vstoltzfus

vstoltzfus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Lancaster County, PA
    Thanks for all your help. The dots never came out, so I just stitched over them, as if the piece were being quilted. And I dare say that the piece is more beautiful with the stitching then without! So I am so glad the dots DIDN'T come out! Another example of God watching over me. Merry Christmas, all.

9. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

[​IMG]

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by