Detailed incubation records

Pics
Oh, this might be harder with quail because they are so small, but with peachicks I put colored zip ties on their legs and weigh them at hatch.
Maybe I can pick five and use different color permanent markers to put a dot or something on their leg?

More details needed. Duck, chicken, quail or what eggs? Auto turn or manual? Dry hatch or not?

I can think of a few more things to chart if there were more details.

They’re quail eggs I think and I think Kiki auto turns but idk. I don’t think she dry hatches but I could be wrong.

I'd be concerned that too much handling could negatively affect hatch rate

Kiki usually candles daily :lau

Everything usually hatches just fine.

This is Kiki we're talking about here. :lol:

:lau true

Honestly I cheat & use an app to track everything. :oops:

Following along though! :pop

Which app? What does it track?

HatchABatch... it tracks days for me. It also has a list of candling dates on there. I use the "notes" app on my phone & will jot down how many eggs weren’t fertile or died. So technically 2 apps. :p

Sounds like a cool app

No ma'am kg is a Larger unit of measurement that Wont* work

I did weights to track percentages with my first three hatches every individual egg, at normal candling days. It was time consuming but totally worth it for the learning experience.

@WVduckchick also did weights when we first started

I might have to weigh mine

A pot scale :oops:

:lau

No, it does not. :) Broody hens have other hens jostling their eggs & still have 100% hatch rates.

That’s true!

Yes and I'm thinking I will start a locked thread to keep it all in one spot.

ETA... Kinda like what I did here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/kikis-horse-eggs-2-have-hatched-1-left-to-hatch.1248197/

You can lock threads??

No permanent markers. It seeps through and will kill the embryo

I think she was meaning about putting it on their legs after hatch?

I think that myth was busted a long time ago. :idunno

Don’t know about the myth or not myth but I think Kiki was talking about putting marker on their legs instead of zip ties? So not on the actual egg but on the chicks after hatch.

They’re quail eggs I think and I think Kiki auto turns but idk. I don’t think she dry hatches but I could be wrong.

Kiki usually candles daily :lau

Everything usually hatches just fine.

:lau true

Sounds like a cool app

I might have to weigh mine

:lau

That’s true!

You can lock threads??

I think she was meaning about putting it on their legs after hatch?

Don’t know about the myth or not myth but I think Kiki was talking about putting marker on their legs instead of zip ties? So not on the actual egg but on the chicks after hatch.
I mark the eggs too.
IMG_20190718_122320.jpg

Back
Top Bottom