details for after the first chick hatches

Jost

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Hillsborough, NC
I have 5 silkie eggs in a syrofoam incubator- still air.... I have been reading and reading & I know not to turn or open after day 18. My question is: after the first chick hatches, do I really not open and take that chick out til all the eggs are completely hatched out? What is the maximum number of days before moving them to the brooder (or my broody hen) for food and water? I know they can withstand shipping but don't exactly know what the maximum wait date should be... thanks for your advice... jane in NC

First.......
welcome-byc.gif

They will be fine in the bator for up to 48 hours (some say 72, but on the safe side I wouldnt keep them in any longer than 48)

Try your hardest to keep the bator closed in till they all hatch.

I also only leave mine in for 48 hours. The can stay slightly longer but I just feel like they get to dehydrated after 48 hours. If you still have eggs in bator to hatch remove chicks quickly and what I do is have very warm water ready to put in bator to bring humidity back up quickly.

You may have to take them out before the others hatch. I have used a Little Giant incubator an a few hatches, one with silkies, and every time the little babies would try to move around and burn their head over and over again on the element. There just isn't enough room for them in there. So just keep an eye on them and see how it goes.

Quote:
Really?? I have hatched many silkies in my LG and have never seen this or had an issue, hmmm.... Interesting !!! Are yours hatching on the floor ??

Yes, the eggs hatched lying on the wire screen. I don't know why it happens, but it never fails to. I hatched ducks too, so I thought it might be because they were taller, but it happened with chicks too.

Back
Top Bottom