Deter Nesting Box Sleep w/out Blocking Off - Nearing POL

I have a question regarding the box, if they sleep in there, what is the potential problem?
Main issue with them sleeping in nests is that they'll soil them, which means more chance of poop on eggs as well. If you don't care about that then it's really up to you if you want to stop them from sleeping in the nests.

Thought I'd share a quick update. Our dear Ginny managed to bust down the cardboard barricades to not one but both blocked off boxes! 🤦‍♀️ She is persistent! I will have to try taping them; I only had them leaning against the opening and thought that was enough.

There's another one that I left open because we have a new layer whose 2 eggs have been found after dark and first thing I'm the AM, so I want for her to have it available to lay in rather than seeing it's blocked and laying on the coop floor.

I'll keep at Ms. Ginny... Thanks as always for the input. Love BYC!

Do you think maybe she'll change her ways when she's older and laying?
Maybe try placing a gallon jug (could fill with water if she tries to push it out) in her box at night

Maybe try placing a gallon jug (could fill with water if she tries to push it out) in her box at night
That's a really clever idea! Thank you!

She's been mostly good about it, now that her preferred boxes are securely boarded up. She occasionally goes into one of the remaining 2 boxes. I keep those 2 open because at least one of our pullets is laying and switches between them both.

I actually determined that the reason she goes into a box is when she doesn't get her preferred spot nestled between 2 girls on the roost at night. If she's the last to go in at dusk and gets stuck on the end, she goes into the box. She likes to be snuggled on both sides--by feathers or plywood. 😁

I am having same problem as you. After cleaning nesting boxes every morning for two weeks I had it enough. I made nesting box lids with plywood and covered them up after 4 pm and I removed them right before I go to bed. So it’s between 9pm to 11pm. I read that most chicken lay within 6 hours from sunrise and only 1 is laying out 5 chickens now. I also made an
roosting bar little higher than nesting box. My old one was same height before. I check on them and removed them from nesting boxes if they are sitting on top of nesting box lids. This is only 4th nights I started this. I wanted to see if you were successful and if so, how long it took.

I am having same problem as you. After cleaning nesting boxes every morning for two weeks I had it enough. I made nesting box lids with plywood and covered them up after 4 pm and I removed them right before I go to bed. So it’s between 9pm to 11pm. I read that most chicken lay within 6 hours from sunrise and only 1 is laying out 5 chickens now. I also made an
roosting bar little higher than nesting box. My old one was same height before. I check on them and removed them from nesting boxes if they are sitting on top of nesting box lids. This is only 4th nights I started this. I wanted to see if you were successful and if so, how long it took.
So far, with 2/4 boxes blocked off with taped cardboard, we've been mostly successful? I'd say she sleeps in there about 1-2 times a week. We've mainly given up trying to go out there all the time. If we remember or feel like it, we will nudge her out. I can't manage having to remove a barricade every day, so we just deal with it; it is what it is.

FWIW, this particular pullet just started squatting the other day so perhaps when she's laying and associating nesting boxes with laying, she'll not sleep in them as much. Who knows?

Best of luck with yours. Sounds like you're on the right track with the higher roosting bar.

Back
Top Bottom