Deter predators around pond?

khuff99

In the Brooder
May 13, 2020
Atlanta, Georgia
For those of you that free-range your ducks on a pond - any advice for deterring predators? The ducks don't want to come off the pond at night to be locked up and want to just stay out on the pond. I hear this is pretty common. So for those of you that let your ducks free-range on the pond 24/7 - any advice? We plan on making a floating shelter for them on the pond. I'm sure we will loose them occasionally. We have hawks, owls, and coyotes in the area. Do lights, decoys, etc. help deter predators?

Not sure how you would deal with predator proofing a pond unless the area is enclosed and covered. The predators will get used to lights. I tried motion lights years ago and the predators didn't seemed to be bothers by the lights going on and off. For the ducks at night on the pond I would be mostly concerned with owls. You will loose some sooner or later when free ranging which apparently you are aware of. Maybe you can entice the ducks with favorite treats. They get the treats when they go in, in the evenings. Good luck...

1610821139715.png

Hope there's lots of responses to this thread. I don't have ducks yet but have been clearing the brush away from pond this winter in anticipation of getting 'em. What specie duck have you? Lots of ponds here in Northern Rural Alabama have ducks. My wife and I take note of 'em as we drive. 1 pond had Muscovy's for 2 years without a loss, haven't seen any there for months now, not sure if predators are to fault. Another pond had 10 Pekins, no loses for a year. Then every month or 2, 1 would vanish, down to zero.

Here's my thoughts: I'm retired and love spending lots of time on our predator wild 5 acres. So, I trap and dispatch coons and possums. I mean lots, full court press, several years ago I took 30 coon/possum Jan to March. 1 year later they're back full force. Our small pond is 100' X 80' without viable fencing. I'll probably put 5 gal. buckets, with straw, with flashing to keep out squirrels, against large tree trunks. (Will Muscovy's use these?) The MVs will have to fly up to 'em. We have deer feeders with corn, may switch to more palatable nutritional feed next to pond. Of course, they'll be pets and get food treats. I can install motion sensor solar lights above feeders and take an occasional duck thief with rifle as well. Coyotes and bobcats are only rare problems. Hawks and owls are worrisome, but MVs are big so we'll have to see. My neighbor has a tight goat fence that keeps out coyotes. Canadian geese nest and raise their goslings at his pond every year. We've tried for Wood Ducks for 4 years. They come in and nest but no baby ducklings yet. There's dead baby ducks when I change out the wood shavings, some eggs with mostly formed babies. Hopefully, the MVs will put the Woodies and other wild ducks more at ease.

Plan B: for other duck species; Construct a raised island coop, maybe 30" above water with non climbable supports. Include a ramp leading up from water and place a coon cage trap on that walkway. The ducks will stay out of 'em after getting caught once or twice (if like other critters). Have a solar auto feeder noisily provide tasty ?all flock or such, around sunset. A quality auto coop door closer would be in order also. Door opens at sunrise. (I view the pond from house windows 50yds.) Maybe put a solar light on top of coop to annoy owls that may perch there.

Understood that most don't have the time to manage intensely. There's lot's of ponds with ducks. How do they do it BackYard Duck experts?

I have 15 ducks on about 10 acres of clear land. They free range on the pond and come to shelter at night. 1pekin and the rest Rouen or khaki. Not sure if we just happen to get lucky or if the neighboring fenced in fields help keep predators away but since may 2019 we haven’t lost any (fingers crossed). I have seen a fox awfully close to their shelter at night (I just happened to be in the right place at the right tim to scare him off) and I don’t have an automatic door yet and sometimes forget to shut it or am not home to shut them in. I think they’re instincts of staying on or close to the pond help them stay safeuntil they go in at night. They’re usually quiet in their house so maybe that helps too? Good luck and if you find anything useful to help keep them safe please share.

Back
Top Bottom