Determing the gender in Silver Appleyards

Sunwren

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 1, 2011
Ocala, FL
I have a few baby Silver Appleyard ducklings and was wondering about sexing them. It seems that about half are a lot more yellow then the others but didn't know if that means anything or not or if there is some other way to tell. I'm used to having Magpies where I can't tell their sex until their tail feathers start to curl but was hoping its easier with the SA's.

Thanks!

Yes, quack is the first way to tell. Color won't give you a clue until the drakes begin to darken around their eyes and bills (at about 10 weeks for mine).

i have a single appleyard ducking. WHich sex quacks and what does the other sex do? Mine is about 5-6 weeks old.

When the voice changes around 4-5 weeks, a girl will QUACK (you can grab one and start walking away with it to get a loud quack of protest if it's female).

The boys will do a mumble-mumble raspy talk, nothing loud. They just can't make that QUACK! sound.

If you offer food up and pause to listen while they eat, the girls will have a louder honking/nasal sort of mumbling while the boys will still be raspy.

Back
Top Bottom