1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Determining What Hens Are Laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rickson, Sep 27, 2010.

1. rickson

rickson Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2010
    I'm a new egg...got my coop up thanks to help on here, got 9 of my 10 pullets to about egg laying time....

I'm getting an egg here, 4 there, etc. All 9 of my hens are in the same coop/run, how do I determine which hens are laying? Should I start to separate them somehow and monitor them?

I need to get down to 4-5 hens for the winter based on square footage of my coop, I wasn't planning on so many of my chicks making it to maturity....and I only want to keep the best layers.

Thanks!!!!

2. J.Pryce

J.Pryce Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Ypsilanti
    You can band them & then watch who are using the nests. I had problems finding bands, so I use different colored zip ties loosely on there legs & clip of the excess length.

3. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    I have read about people using different colored food coloring on the vent- then the egg from that colored hen will have a smear of that color on it. If all your hens are the same breed and it's hard to tell them apart- you can color code the top of their heads with the food coloring- too- its non-toxic and will wear off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by