Devastated by loss of my only two painte silkies

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by roamingchick, Mar 1, 2016.

1. roamingchick

roamingchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2014
    Steuben County NY
    My Dog Came Carrying On In A Manner I Never Heard Before When I Went Out I Found Two Strange Dogs Attacking My Flock They Ran Off But Not Before Killing My Only Two Silkies (Painted) I Talked To Neighbors Called Dog Warden And Still On Look Out ForThem, Afraid To Take My EyeS Off My Flock. I Actually Had Someone Say It Was Just Chickens, If Only They Knew The Cost Of These Birds And The Fact I Loved Them, No They Was Not Just Birds And I Doubt I Can Replace Them, It Was Difficult For Me To Find And Afford Them, Yes It's An Unfortunate Thing But HurtsThaT Somehow Dogs People Allow To Run Amuck Are More Valued Then Birds I Hatched From Egg Raised And Tended To Everyday, I Care For My Chickens Bees And Pigs Everyday And They Are My Lively Hood... Sorry Needed To Vent & Thought You Would All Understand!

2. Silkie2

Silkie2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2016
    New England
    I am so sorry! That's awful how someone could say it was "just" a chicken! I hope your other hens are okay!

3. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I'm so sorry you lost your birds, that's always a tough one when they are loved pets. [​IMG]

4. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    I'm sorry for your loss as well. However, you should protect your current birds from the same fate. I suggest hardwire for your run and not to let them free range, at least for a while. The dogs will come again and watching them from the window won't save your hens. I had a coyote take a chicken three feet away from me a few years back and I even chased it and he still got away. Make a safe run, no free-ranging.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by