1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Devastated, lost my entire flock in one night.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by darleneferguson57, Jan 13, 2013.

1. darleneferguson57

darleneferguson57 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2011
    I have an enclosed pen, wire nailed to posts buried a foot underground, walls are about six feet high and deer netting over the top. Last night something went through the top of the pen, killed all 12 of my chickens. None were missing or eaten. They were all attacked on their heads and necks. It's like something came in through the netting six feet off the ground massacred all 12 then left back out the netting on top.Just killing for the fun of it. Any ideas on what it could have been?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Could be a weasel???

I have read they kill for fun. Not sure though who did that.

I am sorry for your losses. It must have been quite a shock.

3. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    If the deer netting was in no way pushed around/damaged, then I'd also guess weasel/mink.

Sorry for your loss.

4. Sandstorm495

Sandstorm495 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Darwin, Australia
    I can only guess it must have been a weasel.
    So sorry for your loss..

5. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Sorry for your loss. Even though they are all dead you should set traps.I always keep a few set around the yard.

6. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    [​IMG][​IMG] it was a weasel i think, so sorry about losing everyone!!

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Wow! That really stinks. Losing one or two is tough enough - but all of them! So sorry about that. Hang in there!

8. TW1Kell

TW1Kell Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2012
    I have been told weasel, mink, even 'possums will strip their necks or eat their heads off. I am so sorry for your losing them. Don't give up.

9. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Weasels kill just like that. Once the get excited they will kill over and over again. They also sometimes pile the birds up. They are blood thirsty devils..so sorry for your loss. A night like that can be devistating.

10. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    Wow. So sorry. I've been upset the last 3 days because a bobcat killed one of my chickens while they were free ranging. I don't know what I would do if it was all of them. Are you going to get more? I have a wood roof on the coop and hardware cloth on the run. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by