**Devastated** ""UPDATE""

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Feathered Wings, May 7, 2009.

1. Feathered Wings

Feathered Wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    It was day 14 and time to candle my eggs i went to my laundry room where my Top Hatch is.
    WHAT!!! OFF IT CAN'T BE ...BUT......NO!!!...NO!!!...NO!!! [​IMG]

Took out my eggs i only had a half bater full some bantys and 16 pheasants.
    Ran to check it plugged it in only whineing gears and a smell of electricity.
    Unpluged opened moter case and found the light base had cracked and fell into the fan..... frying the motor!!![​IMG]

I sat and looked at the bater in pieces and cried then looked at my eggs and cried.
    I have 5 broody hens on eggs and thought i haven't candled that one hens eggs.
    So i went and got her eggs and normally i would be upset about this but her eggs were infertile [​IMG]
    So then the big decision which do i choose to put under her and i chose pheasant eggs.
    But when i candled them they were dead[​IMG]
    So i said the incu must have been off a while but what about the bantys.
    I candled and 9 were still moveing around so i put them under her and [​IMG].

I'm hopeing and praying those 9 little chicks make it [​IMG]

My advice to anyone don't buy a Brower Top Hatch it's not worth the aggravation and headaches.

My next bater will be the Hovabater Genius 1588

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  2. chickie_mama

chickie_mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Lula, GA
    [​IMG] I am so sorry for your loss! [​IMG]

Here's hoping the little banty eggs hatch out to be beautiful little chickies!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. tryingtohaveitall

tryingtohaveitall Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Ohio
    That's terrible, I'm so sorry. [​IMG]

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Wow how sad. So sorry. I hope the good ones make it. [​IMG]

5. Feathered Wings

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    Thanks i needed a hug.

Yes i'm going to check them in a couple days to see if they are doing okay.
    They are due may 16th so that little hen is in for a surprise only having to sit for 9 days.

I just wanted to let folks know about the top hatch incubator and i wouldn't buy one. [​IMG]
    Bought it over a year ago and never could get the temp steady.

I couldn't believe the light socket just cracked and fell apart! [​IMG]

6. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Somebody else just had a negative thread about that bator. It's good that you shared your info(sad as it is), glad you could save some of the eggs.

7. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    [​IMG] Aww I am sorry to hear what you have been through! [​IMG] I hope that those remaining chicks hatch [​IMG] . May I ask how old the incubater was before it self-destructed?

8. Felicia

Felicia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Michigan
    [​IMG] I am so sorry to hear that that happened to you. I wish you the best of luck with your banty eggs.

9. Feathered Wings

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    Quote:I bought it about 14 months ago from cutler supply the first hatch i had was 60%.
    After that i had 2 more at 60% then didn't hatch again till this feb.

1st time had 5 chicks hatch out of 45 and again the temp would not regulate it was up and down. (yes i had a bater blanket)
    2nd time we had a storm and the lights were off for 14 hours and killed my eggs
    3rd time i had only 5 hatch out of 30 something eggs the temp was all over the place and wouldn't get steady i would turn it up and check and it would be down.

This was my 4th attempt at incubation this year and i had pheasant eggs in there [​IMG]

Why you might say did i keep attempting to hatch because i thought it was me not doing something right.[​IMG]Blamed myself when it was the incu and not me.
    It couldn't be me i checked it repeatedly throughout the day.

So if you have the money skip the top hatch it starts out okay but in the end it was a piece of junk[​IMG]

10. amcconnell

amcconnell Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    I"m so so sorry to hear about your misfortune. But you are right...it is not your fault.

I pray all goes will for the remaining ones. Keep us posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by