Devastating loss. Graphic pictures please help!

I've heard that hanging old cd's can help keep the hawks away! They don't like the colors or reflections they cause. There must be someone on here who has tried it!!

I haven't seen it lately but we were outside all day the past 2 days building the extended run so he probably stayed away. Besides its super illegal to shoot :(

I did not know they were illegal to kill. I would call the local game warden then,,,I have heard they must take care of things like this. Would be worth a phone call to find out.

In the OP's case, I doubt that the game wardens would be obligated to do anything other than tell her she cannot shoot the hawk. Unless the hawk is causing huge financial loss to the poultry owner, they are not going to destroy the hawk. But, you are correct in suggesting that calling and requesting help "might" be worth her while.

Ginny, just so you know, it is illegal to bother a raptor in any manner. you can't squirt them with a hose, throw rocks at them, use a sling shot, or BB gun, traps on top of posts, bow & arrows....... A lot of people do what they think they need to do to protect their livestock, but there are times of several thousands of dollars and/or prison time if you get caught. It is even illegal to possess any body parts of a raptor, not even a feather. Also punishable by fines or jail time.

Thank you I'm still so sad :( she was my favorite hen. I try to keep telling myself it was just a bird but i raised her from a chick and she followed me everywhere :(

Why are they so highly protected?

In the past when livelihoods where even more involved raptor populations were decimated. Some by direct killing (shooting / trapping), poisons, pollution and in particular habitat loss which is still at play. Same animals a tools for managing pests in some areas and many migrate through other states and countries where tax paying citizens their want to protect those migrants. The US federal government along with other federal governments have agreed to have all parties protect those migrants for all parties.

These days very few parties have livelihoods that are so vulnerable to such predators in part owing to changes in husbandry methods. Therefore fewer people are inclined to persecute raptors because their are more cost effective approaches.

I agree it looks like a hawk, i have noticed that hawks kill by pecking behind the neck or going straight thru chest cavity but those are just my experiences. And please do not shoot the hawk they are ruff on people who raise small animals but its a federal offense dont want noone to go to jail lol

Back
Top Bottom